• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to Manual transmission change

AJBob

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0 ltr 6, auto tran, 4x4

I found a 2001 replacement motor for my blown one and it comes with a 5 speed transmission. How hard would it be to convert over to stick. I figured pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder. What else would be needed? Has anyone done this before, any tips.

When you say it comes with the engine--attached?

Auto to manual conversion:

Pedal assembly
Clutch MC
Clutch slave
flywheel
clutch disk
clutch pressure plate ("hat" or "cover")
pilot bearing
throwout bearing assembly including the fork

And drive shafts, don't forget drive shafts.

Edit: related; speedo gear. Most autos have 3.55 gears. Most standards have 3.07s. You'll need a new speedo gear to get the correct reading on the gauge.

You also have a late model so you're going to need the ECU as well, or to play some tricks with the TCU (which I'm still figuring out.)

It will run and drive fine with an auto ECU and TCU but will throw a check engine light (which may cause you to fail inspection) whether you remove the TCU or not.

Pull everything you can from the donor vehicle if possible. Makes life that much easier during the swap.

The engine and transmission are attached, buying it as one unit. No donor vehicle to pull the pedal or clutch master cylinder and slave from. Kept searching and found other posts. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok, good luck with the project.

ya just sell the manual tranny, you'll need to swap out engine harness or sort out differences between auto and manual harness if you don't want a permanent check engine light

It's not the harness that is the problem, it's the ECU and TCU.

Switching to manual would just involve swapping in the ECU from the donor and removing the old TCU, all the old auto wiring and connectors can be left on the harness.

I stand corrected sorry but ya gotta at least get proper ECU, which for 2001 might be tough find

Back