• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheat/Cracked Radiator

srpope80

NAXJA Forum User
Sooooo today was a fun day for me... I'm a very mechanically inclined person, and decided to trade in my daily driver for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited in black, 4x4, etc.

Basically it tugged at my heart strings... (My grandfather had one of these and I loved it) Got it for a good deal, etc.

Upon driving home, I noticed that the temp Gauge (Instantly) shot up from 210-215 range to the red. Instantly. I was watching the gauges like a hawk as this was a new, unknown vehicle to me. I instantly pulled over and shut off the engine, heard a loud whoosh and noticed the rad tanks on the passenger side (plastic!) was cracked.

The coolant was also brown and grainy? when I bought it. I knew it needed flush.

So basically, I'm asking the Jeep experts if they thought I got hosed here, or if this XJ is just needing a new rad? Engine runs great, no milky froth in coolant other than the brown grainy stuff (looks like stop leak or something) and the engine oil is brown and amber (clean) looking...

As this is a 9 year old vehicle, I am looking to make it reliable so I'm not looking at this in a bad light. My plan was to do the following:

1. Replace with all metal 3 core radiator from RadiatorBarn.com
2. Replace water pump
3. Replace Thermostat
4. Replace Hoses
5. Replace Serpentine Belt.

Can anyone give me reccomendations on where I should buy the water pump/Thermostat? Please let me know if you think the radiator could have given out due to a blown head gasket, etc? Would the pressure have been too great?

Thanks in advance; always wanted a Jeep XJ; just a rough first day for my Jeep and I!!!

New WP--never reman, buy a brand name, like NAPA.
DPG Offroad sells the CSF 3-core and they are good people to deal with.
Stant SuperStat Premium thermostat, 195 degree.
Coolant mix late Spring through early Fall--30 ethylene glycol/70 distilled water, change to 50/50 mix for late Fall through early Spring.
New radiator cap, ask for a 16 lb cap, not the OEM 13 lb.
Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt, set to 180~200 ft lbs when new, use a gauge.
If you can't find a lower radiator hose with a spring in it, then use a "universal" hose that has the spring built into it.
Back flush the heater core with a garden hose--not the hose that comes from the thermostat housing, but the hose that runs down to the WP.

A number of the 00-01 XJ 4.0 have had problems with the head cracking between cylinders 3 and 4. It is possible that late 99s through 02 4.0 have the problem heads, casting 0331. 03+ 4.0s have the improved "TUPY" heads.

Joe,

Thanks again for the advise.... I did the following over the weekend and I'm glad to report that there is another XJ driving (and operating cool) down the road:

1. Stant Super Stat Premium 195 degree
2. New Water Pump from Advance
3. CSF 3 Core All Metal Radiator from Radiator Barn
4. All New Hoses, etc. Heater Hoses included.
5. Back Flushed Everything; I had the thick "muddy" looking stuff in the heater core... Took forever to come clean.
6. Cap
7. Belt

Thanks again!

Good, glad you got handled!

PS--welcome to NAXJA!

You will find TONS of good information on here. Practice using the search feature, there is a "sticky" on searching at the beginning of the OEM Tech forum, even has a Google work around for the 3-character or less limitation of the software.

Don't forget to check out the Regional Forum for your area!

Back