• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mandrel downpipe?

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to get a 2.5" header back exhaust bent up and there are no mandrel benders anywhere in portland (what I've been told by several exhaust shops). Is there any one that sells mandrel down pipes? There are quite a few mandrel cat backs you can pick up but surprised I can't find a down pipe with it being such a bad design. What are people's opinion on the real world gains of a mandrel vs. conventionally bent exhuast. Also trying to make up my mind on which cat/muffler set up to use. Anyone know where to find sound clips of jeep exhaust's. Thanks

wannabe said:
Looking to get a 2.5" header back exhaust bent up and there are no mandrel benders anywhere in portland (what I've been told by several exhaust shops). Is there any one that sells mandrel down pipes? There are quite a few mandrel cat backs you can pick up but surprised I can't find a down pipe with it being such a bad design. What are people's opinion on the real world gains of a mandrel vs. conventionally bent exhuast. Also trying to make up my mind on which cat/muffler set up to use. Anyone know where to find sound clips of jeep exhaust's. Thanks

I agree that the stock downpipe is trash, but it's a total waste of money to mess with it if a header is in your future (the good headers come with their own mandrel head pipe).

Mandrel bent pipes do flow better, but you can save money buy just getting a normal bent pipe that is slightly larger (like 1/4 inch or so).

Here is a video of my Jeep accelerating, I know it seems like it takes forever to accelerate but I'm at high altitude which is a good excuse for slower performance.

I have a Pacesetter header/downpipe, dynomax high flow cat, and dynomax super turbo cat back system.

I think it sounds great.

http://media.putfile.com/1999-Jeep-XJ-accel

j99xj said:
Here is a video of my Jeep accelerating, I know it seems like it takes forever to accelerate but I'm at high altitude which is a good excuse for slower performance.

sounds good. fast enough for me.

my jeeps not slow with 4.88s and 35s. i can out run my g/fs VTEC honda and thats the most important thing.

-TIm

what you can use is prebent sections that you order offline.... and just weld them up after you cut them with a band saw or hack saw....this practice is commonly done....

wannabe said:
I actually just found a site that sells 16 gauge aluminized 180 degree 2.5" mandrel bends for ONLY 13.50! what a deal!

Are you bragging... or are you gonna share?

Back