• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with gauge cluster in 95

Hey everybody, so I'm sure a couple people have dealt with this as well as I'm having a similar issue in both my Cherokees. Ones a 95 and the other and 87. The 87 has a gas gauge that works when it wants to and won't go past a half tank even when it's full and then it just starts to drop off till it says empty again, usually within like ten mintues of it deciding to work. Any thoughts on that? All the other gauges work fine in the cluster too...

As for the 95 I had the idiot light cluster in it with none of the gauges working aside from the light on the left ( low washer check engine brake ect.) so I decided I would try a new cluster and it would he a great time to change out the set up so I grabbed one with the gauges instead of lights from pick and pull and threw it in after spending about three hours rolling the millage back so it was right and then as soon as I turned it on the gauges went from there normal off position to no speed pegged out gas and oil and the odometer doesn't even work. Any thoughts? The previos gUges ready the same thing except the oil light flashed on when I stepped on it with low oil so i assume it functioned properly and the odometer worked fine. Now I'm stuck with nothing so and thoughts would be appreciated :) thanks in advance

Last edited:
IIRC, when you swap a 95 from an idiot light panel to a gauge panel, you need to change the oil pressure and water temp senders to sensors. The senders for an idiot light panel are simple go/no-go devices. The sensors for a gauge panel are ranging sensors that vary resistance across a range.

IIRC, when you swap a 95 from an idiot light panel to a gauge panel, you need to change the oil pressure and water temp senders to sensors. The senders for an idiot light panel are simple go/no-go devices. The sensors for a gauge panel are ranging sensors that vary resistance across a range.

Exactly.

Ok, for the 87 fuel gauge.

Run into Radio Shack and buy resistors so you can test the gauge. ZERO ohms = empty; 44 ohms = 1/2 tank; 88 ohms = full tank. Attach 44 ohms of resistors to the sending unit wire and ground the other end--gauge should read 1/2 tank; double to 88 ohms, gauge should read full tank. If it doesn't your problem is the gauge or the harness. If you get the correct readings then the problem is the sending unit. Sending units wear out, and/or the float units become saturated.

Back