• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ steering wheel

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
wanting to change my steering wheels in my 98. i cant find the post. i know that an adapter is needed but i dont know what its for or really what i need.

Ummm, what steering wheel are you trying to put in it?

are you trying to replace the whole steering column? pretty sure if you take off the air bag module, you can unbolt the steering wheel and bolt another one on...... Seen it done before, but not really sure how.

I put in a GT grant wheel because I did not want the airbag to go off when I'm doing jumps at 70mph. If you disconnect the clockspring then yes, the light will come on. I simply pulled the instrument cluster and took the bulb out. I had to leave the clockspring on the column because if I didn't, I wouldnt have any turn signals. Put the gt grant adapter over the clockspring and install the wheel. The wheel was $50 and the adapter was $20.

crap i cant remember, I know that the auto store guy said it wouldnt work on mine but i counted the teeth and they were the same so it fit. Just make sure you get the right number of teeth and it will slide right off. so pull your wheel and start counting! :)

The clockspring should not be necessary for turn signals (unless you're talking about the auto-off feature, I forget if that depends on the way the clockspring housing is shaped) - the only things that use the clockspring are the airbag and the cruise switches.

Back