• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing original exhaust

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
bought a new exhaust system and went to take off the old I'm guessing original pipe. It appears the nuts on all the clamps have fused to the pipes with rust, I got a cat back system but if I just flush cut the pipe off I won't have room to attatch the new stuff.....

so....

do i just cut the clamp and beat the hell out of the muffler (towards the back) and hope for the best or is there a better way, the harder I hit the exhaust the more floorboard falls off:viking:

TIA

Doug

Cut the clamp, carefully cut a slit lengthwise along the muffler tube (without cutting through into the cat output tube) then beat the hell out of it. The more slits you cut, the less you'll have to beat it up...

Agree, unless you can get your hands on a torch to heat the pipe.

i have a map gas torch, I'll try that

OK, heat the pipe where it slides over the other and bang on the muffler, BFH time!

OK, heat the pipe where it slides over the other and bang on the muffler, BFH time!

what's the possibility of tweaking the downpipe and/or headers while wailing away? keep in mind I have horrific luck

I haven't had any problems, but if you are concerned then I would do the slits as Kastein suggested and then heat it, should almost fall apart.

Honestly I forgot you were in CT, guessing things rust a bit more there.

Good luck.

cut the slits (shoot for three equally spaced slits) and then apply the "multi-directional swing press" to a cold chisel. I've had great luck starting at each slit and knocking the chisel into and under each cut. Fold the pipe over as you go and occasionally twist and rock the assembly 'til it starts to move.

i would never sugest using a BFH to get the muffler off unless you wanna be replacing the header soon to along with the cat

Last time I pulled a muffler off, I buzzed through the clamp with a dremel and reinforced cutting wheel, then buzzed a slot into the muffler's input pipe where it was slipped over the cat's output.

I then proceeded to use a hammer and flat screwdriver (have a big one for this sort of thing) to bend up a corner from the slot, then literally grabbed it with pliers/vice-grips and peeled it until the muffler fell off. Much less stress on the header, cat, (and in your case) floorboards.

Back