• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C fan

islandbum

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 sport auto 4.0 with what sounds like a blower or fan motor for the ac/heater going bad. At times it will make rubbing sound or a loud squeaking/squailing sound
Has anyone had to replace a fan motor, where is it, how to start, how hard, Help if you can.

Blower motor is located on the firewall accessed from the engine compartment. Mounted with three screws on the passenger side. The motor itself is very easy to remove and replace with common tools. Getting to it varies with model year. On my '93 I only had to remove the washer reservoir bottle. The squirrel cage blower wheel may be reusable but may be brittle and break during removal. I got a replacement to have on hand just in case -- you can always return it to the parts house if you don't need it.

If your motor is making the noise you describe, it is bad and will usually eventually blow the thermal fuse in the resistor pack resulting in operation only on high speed.

Or melt the contacts on the back of the HVAC switch.

Back