• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unable to locate my TCU

cryptonik

NAXJA Forum User
1996 4.0 XJ 2WD.

I've looked on the driver's side under the dash at the firewall, next to the console, passenger side kick panel, driver's side kick panel, under the hood, and I can't find it to unplug it to see if my transmission issues are mechanical or electrical.

Where else could the TCU be located?

Shifting symptoms:
1st, skips 2nd, hits 3rd (when put in 3rd), hits 4th when put in 4th. If i have it in Drive it will sometimes shift from 1st-2nd-4th. Other times it will hang in 1st until about 4800RPM then it will shift to 3rd or 4th. I'm just looking for a little help here. Could it be the valve body?

check the knee panel on the drivers side. When I replaced mine there was a TCU velcroed to the backside of it. Its still stuck in there. Good trail spare for someone I figure.

I don't remember the change year, but early XJs the TCU is under the dash, passenger's side, and the later XJs it is under the dash, driver's side, between the steering column and the air box.

Back