• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for part name

xjhavens

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 99 xj I'm going to start dding again. I'm starting to fix all the little annoying things that are wrong with it. So here's the situation. When I turn the ac or heater on. The flap under the radio behind the ac/heater control blows shut. The arm I assume directs air flow is broken. Anyone have an idea where I can get one to fix this? It would be nice to be able to defrost my wind shield again. Also what this part is called? Is it the blend door? Thanks for the help.

i had this same problem on my 99 too a while back. i pulled the whole dash apart and found that the same flapper door was the issue. it turned out the one of the pivot points was messed up. I simply found a small machine screw or something that fit/held it back in. everything worked fine after that.

You need to be more specific on what the problem is. Is it just that you can't get air to blow out the defrost vents, but it blows out the dash and floor vents ok? Can you change the temperature from hot to cold with the AC on?

The "mode" doors control the direction of the air flow to the different sets of vents. They are vacuum operated.

The "blend" door directs air through, or diverts air around your heater core allowing you to adjust the output temp. On the 99+, it's electrically operated.

I would have to say my problem is the arm that physically moves the mode door into position. I only get air flow to.the floor vents. Temp and everything else is fine. I can select the different modes but that don't change because of the arm not being attached. It looks like ill have to take the thing apart maybe it will be a simple fix. I was hoping to find out the nameof the part to get a price before taking it apart. Thanks for the help fellas.

The "mode" doors control the direction of the air flow to the different sets of vents. They are vacuum operated.

The "blend" door directs air through, or diverts air around your heater core allowing you to adjust the output temp. On the 99+, it's electrically operated.

I was hoping to find out the nameof the part to get a price before taking it apart. Thanks for the help fellas.

Saudade's answer is correct-- "mode" door is the industry standard name for it.

Back