• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patriot 3rd brake led light on xj?

Hey all,

I've recently noticed how similar the patriot's 3rd brake light is to the xj's and I'm wondering if I could put one on my xj. I love the led look of the 3rd brake (makes it still retain a factory look) while updating my xj a bit.

Has anyone tried this and if not, what do you think?

why not just put an LED strip in the factory housing?

superbrightleds.com should have some PCB stuff in the approximate dimensions. Rock out with a soldering iron.

why not just put an LED strip in the factory housing?

superbrightleds.com should have some PCB stuff in the approximate dimensions. Rock out with a soldering iron.

They do advertise replacement LED bulbs that will replace the factory 922 3rd brake light bulb.

T13-x6.jpg

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ction=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html#t13

there's always the replacement bulbs, but I gather that the OP is looking for that LED strip look where you can see all of the emitters on the new brakelamps.

if that's the look you want, take aprt the factory housing, replace bulb with red LED strip wired to a lamp base. replace red factory plastic with red tinted plexi and voila, an LED third brake light that looks "modern"

there's always the replacement bulbs, but I gather that the OP is looking for that LED strip look where you can see all of the emitters on the new brakelamps.

if that's the look you want, take aprt the factory housing, replace bulb with red LED strip wired to a lamp base. replace red factory plastic with red tinted plexi and voila, an LED third brake light that looks "modern"

The LED strip is a nice idea, but I would stay away from the plexiglas.
Plexiglas is prone to turning foggy, yellowing and cracking when exposed to the constant UV of sunlight.

You might locate a clear factory replacement housing and then install a red LED strip inside the housing.

Good luck finding a clear housing. I've been looking forever, no such luck.

I did however build a board with superflux LED's and some PCB. Turned out great, but with the diffused OEM cover you can't see each LED individually.

The LED strip is a nice idea, but I would stay away from the plexiglas.
Plexiglas is prone to turning foggy, yellowing and cracking when exposed to the constant UV of sunlight.

You might locate a clear factory replacement housing and then install a red LED strip inside the housing.

plexiglass is generic. UV resistant polycarbonate to be specific, you can get it at a plastics place. I would think a bit of polycarb would be fine.

very nice.

Hey all,

I've recently noticed how similar the patriot's 3rd brake light is to the xj's and I'm wondering if I could put one on my xj. I love the led look of the 3rd brake (makes it still retain a factory look) while updating my xj a bit.

Has anyone tried this and if not, what do you think?

Maybe they've changed in the last couple years, but my wife's '08 Patriot has the rear window washer fluid sprayer built into the third brake light. They're probably not quite as similar behind the lens as you might be hoping.

Back