• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Gear Install Pics - Advice wanted

baseballneal86

NAXJA Forum User
Here are some pics of our first attempt at setting up gears. We're using 4.56 Yukon gears and install kit.

Backlash: 0.008
Inner Pinion Shim Stack: 0.035
Pinion Preload Shim Stack: 0.075
Carrier Side Shim Stack: 0.031
Ring Gear Shim Stack: 0.066

Right now the pinion preload is about 20 in-lbs which I know needs to be less. We plan on adding another shim then checking the preload again.

IMG_8702.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg

That is much too shallow. That means the pinion gear needs to be closer to the ring gear. You need to add some shims behind the inner pinion bearing cup. I would try .015" and see what that does for it. Also don't use so much gear marking compound. Just enough to coat about 4-5 teeth lightly is enough. Keep in mind that as you set the pinion deeper your backlash will decrease slightly. Also, don't worry about what the wear pattern looks like on the coast side of the ring gear teeth, it is the drive side that counts.

its kinda hard to tell, I use more marking compound when I mark to make it more defined. I also rotate it at least 3 times.

Looks as if the pinion is too deep ie. straight line at the bottom-crown at the top like an umbrella. Needs to be that nice round edge on both ends and look like an oval.

FrankZ I disagree completely. Most shops will tell you to do it multiple times, and even some installation instructions as well. The towel is only for the load and has nothing to do with how many times you rotate it. I would also mark more then 3 teeth, mark at least 4. I go out to 5 every time, and at the end I do all of them.

Just read your other post and from what you described it may well be way too deep. Definitely use only a light coat of gear marking compound to get your pattern. All of the excess compound can get confusing.

This is why I do not critique gear patterns on the net, I need to see it in person. I like to put a little back pressure on the RG when I spin the pinion to check the pattern.

Here's the latest attempt.

Pinion bearing preload is at 0.065"
Inner pinion bearing shim stack is at 0.026"

IMG_8375.jpg

IMG_8378.jpg

IMG_8376.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

We left the backlash at 0.019", which I know is way too loose. After a couple hours of remembering which changes affected what tolerances, we got tired and came inside.

That and pinion pre-load is measured in inch/pounds.

Those pics were with the ring gear shim stack at 0.070" and the non-ring side at 0.026".

I know that the pinion preload is measured in in-lbs. I was referring to the shim stack that sets pinion preload.

Here's what we got tonight.

Backlash: 0.008"
Pinion depth shim pack: 0.026"
Pinion preload shim pack: .065" (needs to change)
Ring gear side pack: 0.060"
Carrier side pack: 0.036"
Pinion preload: 2 in-lb

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

IMG_8381.jpg

IMG_8380.jpg

Back