• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Coils

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone make a comparison between Rough Country & Superlift front lift coils? Any experience? Do they give decent ride quality? Durable?

If neither of the 2, which would you go with?

Thanks for opinions.

I currently have OME 3" coils + ACOS. I'm looking at some 4.5" - 5.5" coils so I can get rid of the ACOS. I know I will likely lose some ride quality.

I can't give you any insight on the Superlift. However i am on my second set of RC 3 inch coils. With a decent shock, i think the ride just fine. Had Ranchos once - didn't like. RE is a nice coil. but for my cheap ass - the RC is okay by me.

I had a full Superlift 4 inch lift on my first XJ, the ride was decent with their shocks but after buying BPE's front and rear ended up going with Skyjacker Nitro Shocks and the ride was absolutely amazing! I love the RE coils I have now but they are kind of spongy for the roads where I live. My vote is either Superlift or RE.

Yeah, I felt RE was a superior coil above the other 2, but they were not really in this equation. I've seen new 4" RC coil & a 4.5" Superlift for very good prices and I'm mildly considering one of them altho it's not usually my style to cheap out. Honestly a friend's CJ has Superlift springs and while the comparison is unfair, they are my only experience with SL. The ride is incredibly crappy IMO - but then, it's a CJ.

I have 4.5" RC coils - they're a little stiff on the road but not bad at all. They flex pretty well and I don't like a spongy ride on the road anyway

OP, between the 2 choices.. I would go with RC. Most vehicles I have been in that had superlift were not so good. You can donate your ACOS to me when you remove them (=

I've got Zone Offroads 4.5" front springs and they work great for me and the price is right and their customer service can't be beat.

Can anyone make a comparison between Rough Country & Superlift front lift coils? Any experience? Do they give decent ride quality? Durable?

If neither of the 2, which would you go with?

Thanks for opinions.

The best way to answer the ride quality question is to call the company and ask for the spring rate. 150# per inch is the stock rate. So for instance if you have one coil at 180 and one at 210, the higher number will be the stiffer of the two. Asking about ride is also subjective since the type of shock valving used will affect what you feel in the seat of the pants. I currently run springs with 210# rate with shocks designed for a smooth ride on heavy vehicles and they ride very well off road and on. But if I changed to shocks made for cornering they might be a little stiff.

I understand that the answers I get will be subjective and I am hoping for/expecting that. However, telling me the spring rate is this or that # will not give me a better idea since I would have had to experience both spring rates myself. I much prefer a guy telling me he's used both and he thinks this one is better, more durable, stiffer, crappy, sagged quickly etc., than someone spouting off technical information. I can read that anywhere.

I'm simply looking for a decent starting point on which to base my decisions since my only experience on my own XJs has been stock & OME. Right now I haven't seen anything written about these 2 brands or others (besides Rusty's) to keep me from going with RE - except price. And on that issue, again I am aware you get what you pay for. But I can still ask around.

A dollar saved is a dollar earned ...

I am running the RE 210# coils right now. I find them just about right. Much better than my Skyjacker coils which were very stiff.

I hear that Skyjacker stuff is pretty stiff since they're not really designed for light weight vehicles like the XJ. I wouldn't even consider them.

Boy ... how this is turning (in my head) from less expensive springs to RE and ...

- wait for it -

yeah - DPG springs. We're in the money :(. But I just read some stuff about them and I know Dirk to be an awesome guy with a shitton of experience so ... I'll have to pay attention. Haven't checked the site yet to see if they're still available.

Edit: Nope, he must have stopped offering them 'cause they're not on the DPG site. Oh well.

Last edited:
I run RC's 4.5" springs in their long arm kit. It was advertised to be 10 lbs stiffer than stock. It's not STIFF but a little on the firm side and controlled when the sway bar is disconnected. It's bouncier off road than my previous set of Rusty's 3" HD coils. I'm using RC's 2.2 performance shocks with em.

When I emailed summit racing about spring rates of superlift coils (i considered them before too cuz their price is cheap) they told me they were around 200 lbs. I couldn't confirm it though.

I've run Rustys, RE, and RC coils. They were all firmer than stock. They all lifted my XJ. I would use any of them again.

Back