• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sepertine Blet Tension

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
XJ Manual call for using a tension gauge for putting on serpentine belt. Currently I'm having trouble finding one. I don't want to pay over $100.00 like I've been quotes. Anyone put one on not using a huage and how did you determine correct tension.

Thanks,
Bill

Napa sells a Krikit II tensioner for about $20. There are two types one for multi channel v-belts and I think the other is for smooth belts. I used it and it worked quite well

use the twist method if you don't have access to a gauge......twist the longest section of the belt in the center. Proper tension is the belt twisting about 90 degrees.

Jeff

The Krikit I is for v-belts. The Krikit Ii is for serp belts and only costs $13. The twisting method is just estimating.

The Krikit I is for v-belts. The Krikit II is for serp belts and only costs $13. The twisting method is just estimating.

Agree. The Krikit is made by Gates, usually NAPA has them or you can order online from rockauto.com and on amazon.com--as said, the Krikit I is for standard v-belts, the Krikit II is for "micro-V belts".

180~200 foot lbs on a new belt; 140~160 foot lbs on any belt that has been run for 15+ minutes.

The Krikit I is for v-belts. The Krikit Ii is for serp belts and only costs $13. The twisting method is just estimating.

I agree, I mean the amount of twist you get is dependent on your own strength not entirely on the belt tension. A belt with the correct tension might not twist to the "correct" point with someone who has no hand strength. Then, a belt that is too tight can be twisted 90* by someone with strong hands and get a false reading.

Unless you've used a gauge then used the twist method and compared the amount of force it takes then I think twisting the belt is totally useless.

you can always err towards the looser side then just hold the wheel lock to lock, put on the a/c while the motor is on the way UP in rpm, reving ect ect, just keep tightening till it stops screeching during those times. Also put some water on it and see if it slips like mad.

Also for best bearing life what you are really looking for is the loosest setting that does not have the belt slip and squeel. Personally i use the twist method initially, and tune from there. Never have to adjust more than a couple times and its good.

Back