• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas 2 Transfercase with the AX-15

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
In searching around I found very little about the Atlas II T-case in an XJ with the ax-15.

I gather that a couple people have done it though (from signatures) and the head lobster in charge has/had one in the nv3550...

My question is.
Could any one tell me about how long my drive shafts need to be?

It would be nice to not have to put the T-case in and then measure, only to find that I need two new drive shafts...

Thanks in advance.

(oh its a d44 rear, and d30 front)

... the head lobster in charge has/had one in the nv3550...
You mean John, this self proclaimed head lobster? If so, you are mistaken.
My question is.
Could any one tell me about how long my drive shafts need to be?

It would be nice to not have to put the T-case in and then measure, only to find that I need two new drive shafts...
You'll have to measure. They'll be guesses as to length but really the only way to get a correct shaft is to measure it yourself. There are to many variables that will change the length. (ie, t-case outputs, lift height, axle yokes, etc)

You'll have to measure. They'll be guesses as to length but really the only way to get a correct shaft is to measure it yourself. There are to many variables that will change the length. (ie, t-case outputs, lift height, axle yokes, etc)

That. ^

You will want to use a 1" spacer between the AX15 and Atlas so that you don't have to hack the crossmember and tranny mount as much. Also, the front driveline becomes very short with the Atlas so the 1" spacer helps in that regard that as well.

You mean John, this self proclaimed head lobster? If so, you are mistaken.

yeah, you're right, I didn't mean the head lobster, I meant Bryan C.. (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244404001&postcount=3)

I was reading a bunch of threads and forgot which was witch, was which..

plus I was just reading project phin... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1012841&highlight=ATLAS

my bad Bill (and John)

I know that measuring is ultimately required, but I was really hoping for ballpark numbers from someone so I can see if one of the 5 or 6 Drive shafts I have will be close to the right length.. maybe close enough to install and try on day one ..

Last edited:
You will want to measure. Another issue is that you will be going from a single ujoint to a double cardan on the top. At least, that is the preferred method. But if you don't, you have some options for drivelines. The stock XJ driveline uses small 1310 ujoints. The D44 can use a 1310 and 1330 I know for sure. I have an Atlas in mine and I can assure you it makes no sense to use 1310s behind a tcase with a 32 spline output. If you are going to spend the money on a quality tcase it only makes sense to upgrade to a good Tom Woods driveline with larger joints in it. If you give the the measurements, they will have the driveline in 3 or 4 days at your door or overnight if you want to pay for it. It is best to order on a Thursday from them. They get lots of orders after the weekend.

You will want to measure. Another issue is that you will be going from a single ujoint to a double cardan on the top. At least, that is the preferred method. But if you don't, you have some options for drivelines. The stock XJ driveline uses small 1310 ujoints. The D44 can use a 1310 and 1330 I know for sure. I have an Atlas in mine and I can assure you it makes no sense to use 1310s behind a tcase with a 32 spline output. If you are going to spend the money on a quality tcase it only makes sense to upgrade to a good Tom Woods driveline with larger joints in it. If you give the the measurements, they will have the driveline in 3 or 4 days at your door or overnight if you want to pay for it. It is best to order on a Thursday from them. They get lots of orders after the weekend.

Thanks.
My 231 has an SYE in in it, and I am running 1310's on front and rear.
And the atlas (i got used but in perfect shape) has 1310's front and rear also. so it doesn't make any sense for me to upgrade to larger u-joints.

I guess its wishful thinking to get some rough measurements from someone who has already done it.

And wishful thinking that one of my current 5 custom length drive shafts would fit.. but the only way I am going to know is to install it, and disable my jeep for the amount of time between installation and drive shafts...

I guess its wishful thinking to get some rough measurements from someone who has already done it.

My front is 26 inches and the rear is 37 inches. That won't help you much though since I have a D44/D60 setup and a 103" wheelbase.

My front is 26 inches and the rear is 37 inches. That won't help you much though since I have a D44/D60 setup and a 103" wheelbase.
Thanks.

by wishful thinking I meant

it's rare that people would just direct swap a 231 for an Atlas, because they almost always add other major parts (like yourself) to make the measurements of "close" not really work.

however, you said your rear is 37" I did some quick measuring tonight and yoke to mating surface comparison (231 with PORC SYE and 1310 yoke to atlas 2 speed with 1" spacer)

the 231 is about 2" longer than the atlas, which means my drive shaft will 'likely' end up needing to be 2" or less longer the current one that is in there.

its currently ~35" so it could end up close to the 37" measurement.

Interestingly one of my shafts is 37 1/2 at full extension... so it might bolt in.. but most likely won't work as a temporary shaft until replacements arrive.

I do appreciate you taking the time to check, and post though, it does help me work a little on some guesswork just to see what I have and what I can safely sell before I do the swap and not regret it.. :sure:

if anyone has done a "direct" 231 to atlas 2 speed swap for an ax-15 on a mild lift though I would still be interested to see if my guess work so far is going to be close.

Thanks again.

Back