• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor flushing

xjsport96

NAXJA Forum User
Im replacing my radiator this weekend. Can i clamp my garden hose into my lower radiator hose to flush out all the old coolant(after taking out the thermostat) or would that be overkill.

id say go for it, no harm in cleaning out the system before the new rad. I just did a poor man's flush yesterday and flushed with the garden hose through the radiator cap, upper rad hose, and into the block where the thermostat is and drained out through the lower rad hose. back flushing the heater core while you're at is wouldnt be a bad idea

Flushing with a garden hose isn't a bad idea, but as you are actually "replacing" the radiator, there isn't a tremendous amount of value IMHO. As mentioned, if you want to be thorough, those heater cores can use flushing as well, especially for a cooling system that hasn't seen frequent coolant changes.

If you are taking out the thermostat, replace it. 195 degree. I like stats from Jeep and also the Stant SuperStat.

Don't forget about the radiator cap. New ones are about $5.00 and are often overlooked.

Check all hoses. If they are older than 10 years old, consider a wholesale replacement. Hoses are inexpensive to replace and are one of those things that can lead to a tow, or worse yet, an overheat of your engine.

50/50 mix of coolant to distilled water and you are good to go. Verify strength with a hydrometer.

Last edited:
not to threadjack, but where do you guys get your radiator caps from? i believe a 15lb is cap is the requirement, but i only ever see the 13lb variety at like Advance or autozone... unless it is the $25 one that has a built in gauge for heat and that is a bit overkill in my opinion...

Go to NAPA and ASK for a 16 lb. cap. Most chain store computers just have the cheapest OME reccommended cap (13 lb.)

the cooling system is at 15lbs of pressure and city water pressure is some where in the neighborhood of 20 to 25? not exactly sure maybe more. don't go full throttle with the garden hose when flushing the heater core as you might damage it. dont ask me how i know.:doh:

50/50 mix of coolant to distilled water and you are good to go. Verify strength with a hydrometer.

50/50 mix is a COMPROMISE for year round driving (unless you live in an area with extreme cold).

30/70 is the Spring through Fall mix that will cool your vehicle best--30 ethylene glycol (great for an anti-freeze, LOUSY for a coolant) and 70 distilled water.

Back