• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heavy steering while wheelin!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
91 HO cherokee, while deflated and out wheelin @ low rpm's my steering gets so heavy sometimes i have to throw it in nuetral to raise the rpm's so as to turn the wheel! works just fine while on the road, no noises at all or hick-ups either.. i have changed the fluid too. is my pump just gettin tired??
thanks

Maybe.

There is a simple mod to increase pressure.

Search Mod Tech and you should find it.

I've asked the moderators to move this to Mod Tech, you will get more responses there.

Do you have a locker up front?

thanks joe,
no locker in front just rear!
i did see a mod to drill out my high pressure line connection, but cant seem to find it again.
Take the adapter under the high pressure line fitting out of the pump and drill the hole in the center out to the next size bigger than 1/8" (.144" I think it is, #25 bit).

also, a cooler. I can tell when my steering is hot.

x2

before you increase pressure, you best have a cooler. it will build more heat. I've found adding a cooler nearly solved similar issues i've had.

Be careful with the pressure mod. It's a good mod - but it can quickly highlight weaknesses in your 19 year old system.

Don't try to turn at a dead stop. Be moving a little bit. Saying you have to throw it in nuetral suggests to me that you're doing it at a standstill, and that's generally not necessary unless you're, say, in competition and trying to avoid a reverse or cone or something.

Your 19 year old pump may be getting a bit tired. If the drilling don't fix it I would look into a ((((NEW))) ZJ V8 pump

Your 19 year old pump may be getting a bit tired. If the drilling don't fix it I would look into a ((((NEW))) ZJ V8 pump.

ok so i read through the forum JOE and none of it sounds promising to me!! you've always led me well. what ya think is my best fix? maybe just a new pump perhaps, im only runnin 32x 11.50 tires w a box brace too, not like im gettin in anything super sticky, plus my buds are stock boxs & pumps so im thinkin its just not circulating well, am a lil concerned about drilling out the stock HP line for fear of allowing her to get too hot due to the extra pressure but does sound like a simple fix! hmmm, thanks to all chimming in too, TJ

A ZJ AT cooler works pretty well as a XJ PS cooler

I got mine with a Shiny Mopar sticker on the side for $20

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

some ventilation
IMG_0653.jpg

is there a specific year ya picked up for the AT cooler,
whats the demensions of it? i have custom bumpers, dual batterys, ect! have eaten up alot of my space.

A brand new stock pump, whether XJ, ZJ, or whatever, is close to the price of a good aftermarket performance pump. If you have an old pump, and you're trying to get better steering performance, a good performance pump is a pretty cheap upgrade. Just get a good pump and be done with it. If you have a few extra bucks, and really want it to work well just off idle, then spring for a 4.5" pulley which is smaller than the stock 5.5" pulley and gives better slow RPM performance.

It's always interesting that so many responses are for supposedly low budget improvements, when many times the real way to get solid improvement doesn't cost that much. A new PSC pump is less than $200, and a smaller pulley (which really makes a difference) is $49. For $250 shipped you can have guaranteed good performing steering.

Have you replaced the high pressure hose? I have seen these hoses laminate on the inside and constrict flow. Its worth a shot.

The XJ PS box is a tough little unit, the one on my trail rig was run dry for 250 miles to limp home (high pressure hose busted and there were no parts stores open at 11pm Sunday night). I thought for sure I would have to replace the pump but I added the new hoses first and refilled/bled the system. That was 3 years ago and it is still working fine, turns my locked front w/35's with ease!

I carry a spare HP hose now by the way:D

ok so i read through the forum JOE and none of it sounds promising to me!! you've always led me well. what ya think is my best fix? maybe just a new pump perhaps, im only runnin 32x 11.50 tires w a box brace too, not like im gettin in anything super sticky, plus my buds are stock boxs & pumps so im thinkin its just not circulating well, am a lil concerned about drilling out the stock HP line for fear of allowing her to get too hot due to the extra pressure but does sound like a simple fix! hmmm, thanks to all chimming in too, TJ
Drilling out the HP adapter does not increase pressure, it only increases volume. It should not make it run hotter.

Back