• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock jeep tire size limit

brngthafnk

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stock 98 jeep cherokee sport and want to go up from stock wheels and tires. what is the highest tire and rim size a stock jeep can handle without lifting or trimming? id really like black rims and a larger tire.

a kid i knew hacked up his fenders and put 33's on stock, i bet he could of stuffed 35's in there.

To fit in wheel wells with no rub, trimming, or lift:

Standard 4.5" Offset X 8" wide wheels.

235X75X15 for a standard package or Sport.

30X75X15 for an UpCountry Package.

Ron

you can go 30x9.50. with stock backspacing (5.25) i had no issues with rubbing and had full lock to lock. both sway bars stayed connected. id suggest staying with a 15" rim, and 4" of backspacing is pretty widely accepted as "good".

Avoiding posting another thread about this I figured I could just append to this one...
I just bought a set of 31x9.5 Cooper Discoverer STT's, they fit in the wheel well fine but rub a bit on the lower control arms at full turn. Im using the stock 15inch wheels but was planning on a new set of wheels in the near future. Its just the corner of the tread of these absurdly knobby tires that rubs so I figured a wheel with a different offset would aleviate the problem. My question for you all is, would a 4.5 offset, 8 inch wide wheel but enough to push the tire out enough to avoid rubbing without over stressing the joints? Stock backspacing is 5.25" is it not?

And yes I know they will prob rub on the fenders when articulating, I do plan on lift it a bit as well, bit I was in desperate need of new tires so I had to do that first. lol

Last edited:
Why not adjust your steering stops, eliminating the rubbing--all you will sacrifice is tiny bit of turning radius.

I have a 94 country with 30x9.50x15's and stock wheels. I haven't had any rubbing lock to lock and no contact with my flares. I don't know what aftermarket wheels would do but it sounds like these other guys can help ya.

How about just get 3.75" back spacing. Thats what most of us run and have no issues on or offroad, and alot of us run commonly 31's to 35's all on 15"x8" rims with 3.75" backspacing. I will not get into the whole geometry in it but there are many many threads on the thought/question of the supposed overstress with different back spacings.

I ran 30x9.50s on stock wheels for a while. The swiss cheese salad shooter ones. Switched over to some 4" backspacing soft 8's with the same tires, and they started smashing the balls outta my fenders.

9.5" tires might appreciate 7" wide wheels more than 8".

The biggest I could fit stock was 235/75R15

4.5" will be better, personally id shoot for 4". especially if you see bigger tires than 31s in your future... near or distant.

bump and trim accordingly.

Dont really plan on going any bigger than 31s, while this thing is my daily driver at least. Also not planning on lifting it any more than I have to (maybe 2 inches at the most) to make everything fit, without rubbing. Ive already resided to the fact that I'll have to do some fender trimming. Trying to keep it as close to stock as possible (for ride quality reasons) until I get another daily driver.

9.5" tires might appreciate 7" wide wheels more than 8".

The biggest I could fit stock was 235/75R15

Noted, thanks.

To all,
So Im looking at 15x7 wheels with a 3.75-4.00 inch backspacing? Does that sound like it will work? With fender trimming of course...

Last edited:
Back