• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing this fan pully?

dubranger20

NAXJA Forum User
how do you remove the pully so i can replace it?

pully2.jpg

pully.jpg

im sorry its a 94 cherokee country with the inline 6
the issue is ive had a loud grinding noise coming from the engine and a search here said to pull the belt and start the jeep and my case it was quiet i eliminated it to the alternator but when i spun the fan pully it sounded like the bearings were shot..

Last edited:
The pulley bearings and shaft are pressed in the accessory bracket. You need to remove the bracket to press out the shaft and get at the bearings. Or just replace it with another bracket from a junkyard and be done. Unfortunately everything has to come off to get to it.

I replaced mine with a bracket from a YJ, since that bracket does not have the off-set fan. That also brought the alternator up about 5" higher and made it much easier to work with. See this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016319

Most electric fan conversions are done by removing studs from the pulley to get an inch of clearance and living with it.

Another option is to get a sawzall and chop it off

Most electric fan conversions are done by removing studs from the pulley to get an inch of clearance and living with it.

some of the larger fans need this, i found most regular aftermarket 10-12" fans clear fine. when i added two 10" fans, i simply unbolted the fan and then just put the nuts back on to hold the pulley. no need to get a different pulley of change belt length.

replace the alt from a 97 grand cherokee with the 5.2 replace the compressor and compressor bracket and now she purs like a kitten...still having the stalling issue randomly but i did grab 2 cps while i was there

Back