• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few c8.25 gear setup questions

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm going to be regearing my 8.25 soon and need some things cleared up.

First:
Its not necessary to make and use setup bearings during initial setup on the 8.25?

Second:
During initial setup is it advisable to set carrier bearing preload?Or are we more concerned about backlash and pinion depth?

Third:
During final setup how do you know there is enough carrier bearing preload?Is there a torque value when adjusting the carrier adjusting nuts?IIRC I read somewhere that it was 90ft/lbs???

Lastly:
When turning one adjuster for carrier preload is it not necessary to turn the other adjuster the same amount on the other side to maintain proper backlash eventually arriving at a final ft/lb figure on both adjusters(90ft/lb)????

Thanks for clarification.

First: You want to have setup bearings for setting up the pinion depth.
Second: The preload is not critical for initial setup, however, you don't want the bearings to be loose either. Make sure your cap bolts are good and snug each time.
Third: 100 foot pounds
Lastly: set your backlash with the caps good and snug and then torque them with a torque wrench and you will be good.

1-4: jeeper john nailed it.

Back