• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo question

If it is like the 231 there is an alignment mark on the case that you align with the right mark on the speedo housing. By right mark I mean, on the 231 anyways, there are marks with tooth size ranges with a mark next to them. Chose the right tooth range and then align that mark with the mark on the case and you should be good to go. Again provided it is set up the same way a 231 is.

If it is like the 231 there is an alignment mark on the case that you align with the right mark on the speedo housing. By right mark I mean, on the 231 anyways, there are marks with tooth size ranges with a mark next to them. Chose the right tooth range and then align that mark with the mark on the case and you should be good to go. Again provided it is set up the same way a 231 is.

I'd imagine that the 231 and 242 use the same speed pickup unit. There should be four different clocking position markers on the pickup unit for accomodating a wide range of speedo drive gears. If the speedometer isn't working, take it out of the transfer case, reinsert it turned 90 degrees, and take a quick drive. Still not working? Rotate it another 90 degrees in the same direction and try again. Shouldn't take more than four tries to find the one that's right for you.

Why only 90 degree increments, you ask? Because of the retainer clip.

Doesn't matter - just rotate in the same direction each time you change the clocking.

If after trying all four clocking positions you still have no speedo, we move on to other possibilities...

Back