• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full width vs OEM WIDTH

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
So im looking at getting a Ford 44 with welded on C'sthe guy also has a 9" to go with it

both full size obviously

I was gonna cut down the 44 to match my existing 44 rear

now I am thinking mayby its time to go full width ??
im sure some folks have run both ..

any opinions on what to do
i plan on runnin 36x 12.5 x15 tsl's
with about 6" of lift

im sure the 9" is stronger than my 44

I have no prblems running full width on mine, turning radius isn't as good as stock though. There is no comparrison for the ring gear and pinion to teh 44 stuff. The 9" pinion is way bigger....but it does hang lower.

i'm running a 44/9 full width with about 7" lift and 36x12.5 TSL's and absoultely love it. a lot more stable than stock width. a little harder to get around tight corners but its worth it.

be sure to look at the locations of all the responders. you're in Vegas, so I assume rock-crawling will be involved. just about all the CA naxja people with 44s (or hybrid variations) cut them down to Waggy width (61.5).

and with those tires in rocks, you'll need alloy shafts in both axles, and a nodular (hi9 preferred) case in the 9"

I love my full widths. I am running a dana 60 and HP44 combo out of a late 70's f250 and they are about 68" wide if I remember right. The jeep is much more stable now with 37's and 4.5" of lift than it was when it had 32's on the same lift. The only thing I would worry about with going full width is your backspacing. I am running H2 wheels on mine which are 17x9 with 5" of backspacing and I would not want to go much wider than I am now. Here is a picture of how wide mine is. (the tires are 37x13.5x17)
http://cherokeechief.zoto.com/user/...CAT.0_YER.2006_REC.1/average_rating-desc/0-30

XJumpmaster said:
Are full widths street legal?

It depends on where you are. From what i have heard, it is legal in colorado and I have not had any problems. But, I do know that it is illegal in Louisiana, but again, I have never had a problem. I also talked to a few cops back in Louisiana and was told that they did not ever pull people over because of the lack of flares, but if you pissed them off they would write a ticket for it.

links to writeups on the narrowing ..i know the basics but seeing some pics would be nice..\

also you have to narrow both side if my memory serves me correctly ,,but I do recall some folks just takin @ 5" off the pass side

aslo the guy im gettin it from says it was from a 74 f150 and its 5 on 5.5 with disk brakes
i thought all the earlier models were 8/6 lug and drums???

i guess i better look at Bellavitas' thread on Pirate AGAIN ;)

Last edited:
i love my full size, got emm off 79 full size bronco
jeepsuch003.jpg

ford 9" and dana 44 full size = 65.25
dana 35/30 = 60.75

Last edited:
Back