• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Line?

1337Fungi

NAXJA Forum User
Need to replace some hard brake line, I picked up a flare tool and would like to know what size line and fittings to use. I'm just gonna pick up a roll at Advance unless someone says otherwise, I also have a napa, pep boys, autozone, and a carquest local. Will be doing the hard lines to the rear wheel cylinders.

3/16 brake line tubing. I usually get the pre-flared sections since they come nice and straight and include flare nuts.

You want 3/8-24 double invert flare nuts for 3/16" tube. Make sure you use all double flares, single flares will work but will crack and leak faster.

Try to find some made in the USA galvanized hard line. I got some green polymer-coated stuff from Advance and similar from Autozone. The green stuff must be made to lower specs- it wouldn't flare for crap, even at a machine shop. The machinist thought the walls weren't even thickness. The made in USA galvanized stuff (from NAPA I think) flared easily.

The green polymer lines will work just fine if they are pre-made and just bolt in. If you need to flare your own end, it will probably not turn out well...

Interesting, I've always had great luck with the green poly coated stuff. The trick is that you have to apply a little brake fluid and then a little brake cleaner to the end first to remove the poly, otherwise your flaring tool will not grip the tube well and it'll slip through instead of flaring.

Back