PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line?

1337Fungi
July 20th, 2010, 07:52
Need to replace some hard brake line, I picked up a flare tool and would like to know what size line and fittings to use. I'm just gonna pick up a roll at Advance unless someone says otherwise, I also have a napa, pep boys, autozone, and a carquest local. Will be doing the hard lines to the rear wheel cylinders.

kastein
July 20th, 2010, 08:32
3/16 brake line tubing. I usually get the pre-flared sections since they come nice and straight and include flare nuts.

You want 3/8-24 double invert flare nuts for 3/16" tube. Make sure you use all double flares, single flares will work but will crack and leak faster.

1337Fungi
July 20th, 2010, 09:26
Thanks

HenryKrinkle
July 20th, 2010, 13:23
Try to find some made in the USA galvanized hard line. I got some green polymer-coated stuff from Advance and similar from Autozone. The green stuff must be made to lower specs- it wouldn't flare for crap, even at a machine shop. The machinist thought the walls weren't even thickness. The made in USA galvanized stuff (from NAPA I think) flared easily.

The green polymer lines will work just fine if they are pre-made and just bolt in. If you need to flare your own end, it will probably not turn out well...

kastein
July 20th, 2010, 13:27
Interesting, I've always had great luck with the green poly coated stuff. The trick is that you have to apply a little brake fluid and then a little brake cleaner to the end first to remove the poly, otherwise your flaring tool will not grip the tube well and it'll slip through instead of flaring.