• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stainless vs. aluminized?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I know what stainless is, and the differences between the various grades. What is aluminized steel, and how does it compare with respect to exhaust systems?

I need a new exhaust system, again, and it's time to get something that will last longer. On the other hand, is $450 and up worth the expense given the abuse it will take from terrain, if aluminized is a viable option?

I really don't know anything about aluminized steel. Any tutorials and/or suggestions would help.

aluminized steel is like saying hardened metal.. youd have to find out the percentages of aluminum in it.. then you can see what the benefits are.. id stick with stainless and just weld it up with some sweet 308 rods and watch your heat.. but hey like i said gotta find out whats in it

Aluminized steel is just steel that has been hot dipped in a vat of aluminum. The outer surface gets a coating of aluminum alloy.

It's a cheaper alternative to rust resistant alloys like stainless.

I found Dynomax uses aluminized steel, and has a $75 rebate on a cat-back system right now. Summit sells it for $109 (including shipping). So, for $34 and change, I'll give it a try.

Aluminized steel is just steel that has been hot dipped in a vat of aluminum. The outer surface gets a coating of aluminum alloy.

It's a cheaper alternative to rust resistant alloys like stainless.

Many years ago when I was in the Navy.... SIMA would Flame Spray valves with aluminum to protect them from corrosion which is basically the same thing; just applying it differently.

Back