• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new jeep build 91 XJ 8" lift and 35's and a lot moreee.

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
been gone for a while but heres the new XJ to replace my old one. well here it is. it's a 91 Cherokee with 88,000 miles. it has 8" coils and leafs with rubicon HD trackbar/mount. upper and lower iron man adjustable control arms w/ drop brackets.( i know what you guys are gonna say but it rides and flexes pretty damn well. ) 35" BFG KM2's on 15x10 D-Windows. axles are geared too 4:88 With a detroit locker in the rear and Superior Axle shafts.

plans for there include beefing up the steering and brakes, then front bumper similar too the one on my old cherokee and a rear bumper/ tire carrier, roof rack/ light bar and sliders/ steps for the gf. it's pretty tall ha. also maybe longarms in the near future.

and im gonna state now that with what we have around here im not worried about the Dana 35( just sand and some mostly fairly mild trails ) and as far as the height with short arms i just drove it 4 hours on the highway and it rode better than expected.
2thumbup.gif
anyways heres some pics. in my driveway and some down in my pasture

there are some changes in these. i painted the axles, put my Hellas on off the old jeep, and trimmed the front bumper till i make the new one.
IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

you do realize that people who run dana 35's with 33" tires have been known to break them on freeway onramps, right?

i guess I still dont get why cal has to say something bad about everyones build. everyone in here know that the jeep is never done being built and if he still has the 35 in there let it be until he gets enough money or time to do the swap. I know I am going to get a lot of crap from the "CAL FOLLOWERS" but seriously come on man,cant you just say " you might want to think about an axle swap because people have problems with big tires and weak axles" why do you have to be negative about almost every post I see on NAXJA. People come here for advice and what they get is Cal talking crap everytime. if its not your yellow jeep it just isnt good enough for the NAXJA site

Last edited:
I had the same thought on the D35. Just be easy on that gas! Looks good!
im not a hard driver so it should be ok till i can upgrade *knock on wood*
Nice looking Cherokee.

Couple of questions:
Did you build it or buy it that way?
Why so high?

E
thanks man, and i bought it with that lift. but i like the height but will probabally go too a LA set up when i can afford too build one.

i guess I still dont get why cal has to say something bad about everyones build. everyone in here know that the jeep is never done being built and if he still has the 35 in there let it be until he gets enough money or time to do the swap. I know I am going to get a lot of crap from the "CAL FOLLOWERS" but seriously come on man,cant you just say " you might want to think about an axle swap because people have problems with big tires and weak axles" why do you have to be negative about almost every post I see on NAXJA. People come here for advice and what they get is Cal talking crap everytime. if its not your yellow jeep it just isnt good enough for the NAXJA site
yeah i dont plan on running the 35 forever. but no job right now so cant afford the axle or the re-gear.

Nice looking rig. I ran a 35 out back on my wrangler with 35's for a while. I ran Jon Bull and a few others with that 35. I thought I was the exception to the rule until I grenaded it. A 35 COULD last if your very careful, but the reality of it is that it is simply a matter of time. You have a great rig and a good start for an awesome trail rig. Keep us posted as you modifty, swap axles, etc. Good luck.

My yj had 35's on a 35 with stock shafts and 4.88 gears with a 4:1 in the t-case and I didn't break it even in JV, the dana 30 is another story.

Jeep looks like a good place to start enjoy it!

haha ill post some pics up tomorrow of the trim job. they are past the normal area.
ALSO im trying too get my hands on a welder soon and start building the bumpers. then sliders then attach the tube fenders too the corners off all of those. make them all tie in. ill try and draw up a pic of what im thinking and ill post it up

only of you were closer I could get you one step closer to re gearin ... I have some 4:10s laying arround I have the Carrier for the 35 but not for the 30 ... Let me know if your interested.. PM me for details

4.88s are better for 35s. I think he may have missed that part of the post. ;)

Back