• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mottino Wash Trail Report...........we'll maybe

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
Well, a select few of us retards decided to meet up in Big Bear to locate/run Mottino Wash (also known as the Sidewinder trail). Cal, James, Tito & Stephen (the Phillipino assassins) and myself had planned to go this weekend for quite some time but it turned out to be hotter than $%^& up there.

To aid in our search we had a general map of the area, an overheating GPS and two GPS coordinates. It took us about an hour and a half to locate the first coordinate but after searching the area, and about a ½ mile hike, we determined that this spot didn’t add up to the pictures and descriptions we had seen. We chose to continue on to the second coordinate.

After about another ½ hour of driving fire roads we came across the second coordinate. We quickly realized that meeting in Big Bear was sort of stupid and we should have gotten there from the 247 as the coordinates seemed WAY closer to Johnson Valley’s Boone Road than it was to Big Bear.

We all parked and we quickly hiked the trail which headed out off (northeast) of Rattlesnake Canyon. The talk on line had said it was similar to Sledge Hammer in its ‘trail type’ fit the bill as did some of the pictures we had checked out.

We proceeded to head on in. We left the Assassin’s FJ cruiser aside while we took Cal’s XJ thing, James’ XJ and my MJ through the trail.

Overall the trail seemed fine. There were quite a few rock obstacles. Definitely more technical compared to John Bull but not quite a Sledgehammer but the scattered rock layout sort of visually reminds me a tad of Sledge. I would say it is 20% easier than Claw Hammer as well. We had no real carnage other than the sole of my shoe came off thanks to the heat. James was getting quite the work out with the stick shift and his starter was doing overtime but he got through with the occasional ‘tug’. Cal and I took a couple of optional lines that tested the belly pan clearance of our large rigs. It was a fun run but the drive out there was a little much. I think I would consider it again if I were to come from the 247 side and if it was a bit cooler out there.

The big question is…………is this the actual Mottino Wash trail? We don’t really know. If not what trail was this?

And the pictures (thanks to Tito):

IMG_0850+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0856+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0871+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0873+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0874+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0875+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0877+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0880+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0881+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0882+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0885+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0889+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0907+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0860+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0909+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0911+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0919+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0870+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0925+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0948+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0953+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0959+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0962+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0970+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0973+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0983+_Large_.JPG

IMG_0997+_Large_.JPG

IMG_1001+_Large_.JPG

IMG_1003+_Large_.JPG

IMG_1006+_Large_.JPG

IMG_1011+_Large_.JPG

cool pics with some nice rigs. thanks for sharing. interesting to see how much that MJ has stiffened up with the sliders and cage. can even see any flex in the frame at all. just shows how much a cage can save the XJ body aswell.

cool pics with some nice rigs. thanks for sharing. interesting to see how much that MJ has stiffened up with the sliders and cage. can even see any flex in the frame at all. just shows how much a cage can save the XJ body aswell.

Thanks

The chassis has stiffened significanly.

My windshield no longer pops out :wierd:

Balls! this is what i get for going to Oceanside :p

Well, atleast it wasnt hot ass hell near the Ocean.

BTW, any way we can get the way points?? im going up this weekend and it be cool to try and tackle this in the late afternoon. Or super early morning.

BTW, any way we can get the way points?? im going up this weekend and it be cool to try and tackle this in the late afternoon. Or super early morning.

Cal had the way points so hit him up.

The numbers I have are N 34 16.502' W 116 39.760' which is the beginning off of Rattlesnake canyon trail. Altitude is 5135' at that location if that helps. I was there 6/19/10 the last time and the snakes were out in force so be careful and if its wet the rocks there are tough on tires......SANTA

Mottino Wash:

N34 16.522
W116 39.763

Coordinates compliments of Johnny. It's bout a mile and a half up rattlesnake canyon on the right.

That was a fun trail. It was 1.5-2 miles, took us a couple of hours, and it was incredibly hot. First time my temp guage has moved past 195 since I bought big bird. :)

Mottino Wash:

N34 16.522
W116 39.763

Coordinates compliments of Johnny. It's bout a mile and a half up rattlesnake canyon on the right.

That was a fun trail. It was 1.5-2 miles, took us a couple of hours, and it was incredibly hot. First time my temp guage has moved past 195 since I bought big bird. :)

are those the coordinates for the beginning of the trail? We tried looking for it last time we were @ socal fest and got lost. We ended up going right at some road off of rattlesnake canyon road. So i think we were going south instead of north. :(

Mottino Wash:

N34 16.522
W116 39.763

Going up Rattlesnake the trail I call Mottino would be on the "Left"? Maybe we are talkin two differant trails.At the beginning of the trail there is an old house maybe 3/4 of a mile to the west+/- but you won't see it if you are going up the canyon.Next time I go up I think I will put a marker at the beginning......SANTA

Going up Rattlesnake the trail I call Mottino would be on the "Left"? Maybe we are talkin two differant trails.At the beginning of the trail there is an old house maybe 3/4 of a mile to the west+/- but you won't see it if you are going up the canyon.Next time I go up I think I will put a marker at the beginning......SANTA

I dont remember a house... hmmm... i do remember going down 3n02. not 100% sure on that. I also remember seeing a broken down RV that looks like its been there for no more than a year. the route we took led us to a section that looked like it be run to break on but had no track further than the gnarly shit we found. i believe i took pics of what we found. SHouldbe in the Socal fest section.

It was on our 'right'.

We were heading North/north west up Rattlesnake canyon and took a right onto Mottino wash and the Mottino trail was heading northeast.

Back