• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone tell me where these wires go?

sam24th

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to hook up my AC to see if it works or not. I bought the jeep like this so I have no clue where the wires go to. I know one is for the ground. The other I dont know. And I dont know which wire is which. If someone can help Identify them for me, thatd be great.

DSC03683.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

The orange one is for the clutch solenoid. There should be a female bullet connector hanging somewhere near the compressor on an orange 16-gauge wire. That wire traces back to the ac relay. (This is my best guess for an ~89 Jeep looking at the picture since you neglected to mention what year/engine).

You could ground the ground wire and put the orange wire on the battery to see if the compressor runs and if anything is getting cold. Don't leave it like this since if it actually has any freon in the system you can cause the high side of the compressor to get over pressurized

Thanks a lot, ill try it tomorrow and see if it works. BTW its a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0L.

Just hooked up the compressor today and it actually works perfectly fine. Infact the whole system still had R12 in it and worked fine. So Im a real happy camper now :viking:

Does anyone know if I need a diode on the ground wire ceoming from the compressor? I read on another forum I needed a diode and that they came from the 2 wires in my pic went to the single orange wire. If so what kind of diode would i need?

Does anyone know if I need a diode on the ground wire coming from the compressor? I read on another forum I needed a diode and that they came from the 2 wires in my pic went to the single orange wire. If so what kind of diode would i need?

The wiring diagram does show a diode across the ac compressor, although I'm not sure its 100% necessary. It's purpose is to control the back voltage spikes you can get when disconnecting a coil. Its often seen on the bottom or inside auto relays. It's wired like this

ground ---->|--- orange wire

Something similar to http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062579 would probably work fine. Just needs to be a diode rated for a few amps and at least 200 volts. The white stripe on the diode would go the orange wire and the other end on ground (if you get it backwards the diode will get real hot real quick and probably pop).

I appreciate the help.
I shall go to RS after work and get it done. Thanks,

now my GF wont get mad at me.:D

^ X2, hit the junkyard and get one cheap!

Back