• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flywheel Orientation - Renix Vintage XJ

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
Many of us recall the clearance hole on the crank shaft rear flange.

I just had my flywheel machined and fortunately for me the facility that did the work decided not to handle my flywheel "too much". I say this is defense of them as they left the flywheel soiled. Good; I'm glad they did. Without the soiled engine side I would not have been able to locate the soil "circle" indicating the location of the crank flange clearance hole.

It seems to be so much more intelligent to simply place a roll pin or dowel in this location as this would make it easier (and virtually error proof) installation of the flywheel so that it is correctly phased to the current engine position. In turn, this would ensure correct engine starts following any service procedure requiring removal of the ring gear/flex plate or flywheel.

This would be much easier if AMC or Chrysler would have considered these issues.

In the meantime, I'll get up early and set the engine ant TDC for Cyl #1 to ensure the Renix flywheel is oriented properly.

Rick

isnt the renix flywheel and the ring it bolts on with, indexed? arent the holes layed out so that you cant put all the bolts in, if it's mis-aligned?

Damn, those SAE guys are BRILLIANT!

Well, I guess I learned something as a result of my naive post. It appears you cannot install a Renix vintage flywheel incorrectly. One less issue to be concerned with. I'll gladly take the benefit this offers!

Thanks for the follow-up.

Rick

Back