• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which rear end would be better

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Im looking to pick up a Chrysler 8.25 rear end. I found someone online that has both a 27 spline and a 29 spline rear end. the 27 spline is already set up with High clearence shock mounts shaved bottom diff and diff gaurd, 4.56's yukons, and welded. Comes with ZJ disk brakes, and Yukon Alloy shafts. the 29 spline rear end is all stock. which should I get? I have heard that the 29 spline is much better to have but I think this is an awesome deal. The seller wants 300 for the 27 spline

Will you be driving on the street much? If so welded sucks. I did it for a couple years. I'd say get the 27 spline and get new spiders to lose the welded-ness...I'd say it's easy to make it 29 spline with a 29 spline carrier and shafts, but if it's already got 27 spline alloys, that's already gonna be stronger than a stock 29 spline.

ASSUMING the stock 29spl has gears that match your existing front axle...

IF you were planning on upgrading to 4.56 ANYWAY, and you can hang out limited to 2wd untill you get a matching front.. by all means.

but if you just looking to get rid of a 35, just get the 29.

ive been 2wd due to mismatchd gears for over a year and a half now, i could care less because im a prerunner type... but most people would see this as a deal breaker

look at it this way... that $300, geared axle, is going to cost you more money to make the front axle match. can you afford to re-gear you're front to match, in the short future?

Back