• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full width steering

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
So I really want to go full width but the thought of setting up the steering really is scaring me away, id like to see some of you guys set ups if any of you are running a 3/4 ton setup.

Its either that or i just beef the 30up and get an 8.8. But with plans of 35-37s may make my gearing a problem..

All thoughts and comments needed! Thank you

Crossover heim steering man. Simple, cheap, and very effective. :thumbup: I can even set you up with a track bar or anything else you might need.

Accualy the steering is pretty easy. You have a few choices. High steer, over the knuckle with high steer on the pass. knuckle, under the knuckle, by it pre built from Ballistic or others. I am sure i left some stuff out and there is a ton of info if you search.

Here is mine. Over the knuckle with high steer arm on the pass. side for drag link. Works great with absolutely no bumpsteer.

axle040.jpg

axle039.jpg

Accualy the steering is pretty easy. You have a few choices. High steer, over the knuckle with high steer on the pass. knuckle, under the knuckle, by it pre built from Ballistic or others. I am sure i left some stuff out and there is a ton of info if you search.

Here is mine. Over the knuckle with high steer arm on the pass. side for drag link. Works great with absolutely no bumpsteer.

axle040.jpg

axle039.jpg

can this system be used with 15 inch wheels? more pics and info would be great, thanks.

you can use 15" wheels as long as you keep them around 3" backspace or less, not just to clear stearing but brakes also. I went with 17" wheels to clear everything and be able to run 5" of backspace to tuck the wheels in some, to shorten the width. Those are the best pics I have of the steering.

That is a verry nice rig ya got there, tho the 16/17" rim kinda weirds me out never even thought of that issue. Tho in this months JP magazine (well august) the rig they covered was a 98 cherokee on Ford 44/61s and he has 15x10 steelies but it also looks to have a lot of back spaceing

I was running a Ford 79 HP with passenger side high steer arm with tie rod like above. I also ran a 17" rim with 5" of back spacing and my high steer arm and hiem just cleared the bead lip.

PB100008.sized.jpg

PB100007.sized.jpg

The real trick is getting the pitman arm length and the high steer arm length correct.

Bringing back my old thread since I'm finaly starting on the 44/9 swap. I'd just like to see some other front swap set ups to pull some ideas from.

Bringing back my old thread since I'm finaly starting on the 44/9 swap. I'd just like to see some other front swap set ups to pull some ideas from.
Other setups?

Mine:
FrontAxleComplete.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

If mine had to remain with a mechanical setup,. I'd so something like Seiler's or Wil Badger's with assist. If not, I love my full hydro, turning 39s with a pinky worth of effort is great.

87 fullwidth 60, Orange Knuckle Balistic Hi Steer Arms, 1.25 3/8 wall dom direct tapped for 3/4 hiems still gotta make drag link, but it will be same as tie rod but with 5/8 high misc spacers

320608_2198838923492_1022830226_32599167_1180289_n.jpg

87 fullwidth 60, Orange Knuckle Balistic Hi Steer Arms, 1.25 3/8 wall dom direct tapped for 3/4 hiems still gotta make drag link, but it will be same as tie rod but with 5/8 high misc spacers

320608_2198838923492_1022830226_32599167_1180289_n.jpg

Holly farkin scrub radius! What sort of BS are you running on those wheels, and why?

Holly farkin scrub radius! What sort of BS are you running on those wheels, and why?
I believe they are 2" BS or so, he got them for a very good deal.
You guys never wanted to try the traction gain of your front rotors? :laugh:
Also what's it take to run the straight style track bar?
Some mounts. Not really much to it; plan, cycle, build, test cycle, weld done.

Damn you guys and your gnarly hydro steering. Id love to do that but I dont have the money to build it, nor would I need it since ill be staying around 35".

Some mounts. Not really much to it; plan, cycle, build, test cycle, weld done.

Really? Whats the reason for the bends from the factory? Wait just thought about the oil pan.

I think I may look into Jeepme's cross over style, or if my shop goes back on over time wile I'm building it ill go with Seiler's set up.

Also has any one done/seen an OTK inverted T setup useing the the standard steering arms on a 44?

The bends in the factory bar are to clear the diff at full bump.

I used that setup on my old XJ (HP44). Was narrowed to waggy width though.

n41902041_31123365_4696748.jpg

n41902041_31152683_5763148.jpg

Worked well.

Damn you guys and your gnarly hydro steering. Id love to do that but I dont have the money to build it, nor would I need it since ill be staying around 35".

Really? Whats the reason for the bends from the factory? Wait just thought about the oil pan.
Worth every penny.

The bends have nothing to do with oil pan clearance. Panhards are the easy part of steering under XJs, make them as long and flat as you can that still clears the axle and oil pan and you're good to go.

'77 F150 HP D44 axle. Using QA1 joints, 1.5" DOM, and tube adapters from ballistic fab. I have some bumpsteer cause my track bar is so short, but it's liveable.

PA100442.jpg

Last edited:
Back