• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 from Bronco

NorcalXJnewbie

NAXJA Forum User
So i know that 78 and newer broncos have .25" tubes, making them a poor idea for a dana 44 upgrade... But if i used a truss kit and built my own custom spring mounts, wouldnt it hold up fine?

It's not the tube thickness that makes them a bad idea, its the cast wedges. Meaning that you pretty much have to run the stock radius arms. Plenty people do run stock radius arms with good results though.

It's not the tube thickness that makes them a bad idea, its the cast wedges. Meaning that you pretty much have to run the stock radius arms. Plenty people do run stock radius arms with good results though.
By radius arms do you mean the C's? or do you actually mean the radius arm on the suspension?

I am planning on putting a truss, coil, control arm and track bar kit on the front end, from RUFF STUFF.

it will be a few weeks, but its gonna be awesome.

Sid

He means that in 78 and 79 the wedges are cast as part of the axle. You cannot cut them off. So you either have to re-tube it, or make something work with the ford radius arms. For example, here's what I did.

Cut the arms off..
0311001852.jpg

Modify them...
0311002010.jpg

Add a joint and be done...
0514001659.jpg

I run a 78 Bronco D44 and love it. I use the Ford radius arms with RE SuperJoints on the ends. I wristed the passenger side and it really works sweet. Even better, it is cheap and rugged.

I run a 78 Bronco D44 and love it. I use the Ford radius arms with RE SuperJoints on the ends. I wristed the passenger side and it really works sweet. Even better, it is cheap and rugged.

I'm hoping I have the same experience. Mine is almost finished after 9 months under the knife. I've got another set of arms I may experiment with a wristed arm, we'll see. But it seems to flex fine sitting in the driveway. :rolleyes:

nice work guys and thanks for the info. I am gonna just retube it. I got it for 50 bucks, it was complete but a hole was cut in the radius arm part...

So i have brakes, calipers, hubs, axles, and housing, gears etc... for 50 bucks

I'm glad you didn't pay what that guy was originally selling it for. $300. It was a joke. How much does it cost to retube a dif housing?
retubing a axle cost will vary depending on who you know. I am going to remove the tubes and prep the pumpkin. this will be done by drilling/milling out the plug welds, then cutting off existing radius mounts, then welding a plate on the end of it and pressing out the tubes by using a bottle jack. You can also put a bead of weld on the inside of the tube to shrink it and then remove it that way.

I will use the stock longer tube, clean it on a lathe and have it pressed in and welded. I will get a new tube pressed in and welded on the other side. Probably 150 for my cost.

The trick is going to be where to get my outer C's or Knuckles? and if i am going to run the stock brakes or do a chevy mismatch?

Let me know if you know anyone wanting a dana 30 with a locker and 4.88 gears soon enough.

I will also have a 4.56 dana 35 for sale with locker too. its been a great rear end so far.

Back