• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld in HD rocker panel?

JJOFOZ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for info on cutting out my rusted out rocker panels and welding in some steel tubing for rock protection.

Can this be welded directly in or does it have to be braced to the frame?

I plan to under armor this xj till you can drive it over a pile of cinderblocks.

hear is what I have so far. double plated factory gas tank skid.
factory xcase skid(may pick up a used skid row xcase skid.
reinforced factory front skid.

still need
Rock sliders.
front and rear bumper.
exhaust skid plate.
lower control arm skid plates

Thanks for all the help

Just Jeeps of Omaha
FOZ

Weld some 2x6 or 2x8 in there, do some searching there are a ton of these threads out there.

the search function is about to become your new best friend.
Heres a start, no frame, Unibody. So things get a little bit interesting.

For a transfercase skid, look at the TNT/ Treks bellypan, turn those cinderblocks to dust!

Good luck!

Search for rocker replacement, there've been a few to do it, and even a few who have boatsided the sides...

snow%20047.jpg

Here is how I did mine. 2x4x 1/4" wall steel

i used 2x6

18450_506849724194_226300669_166899_1539689_n.jpg

if you come down hard on it you are gonna want to tie them in. i didnt and after every hard hit you can notice the body down there deform a bit and doors dont close as easily and whatnot....

It seems like once you lose the sheet metal rockers you have to tie it in A LOT to keep your doors in good shape. Normal rock sliders have the advantage of a little squish (the regular rockers) under them before hitting the doors.
If you are going to hit them hard, I'd either put rock sliders on it and maybe stitch weld them to the rockers (or leave them bolt on, whatever) or tie in the new rocker to a cage, the uni-rail, etc.

I am doing a similar modification to my XJ as my rockers are toast. I spent a significant amount of time searching and looking this modification and finally came up with what I consider a better option to some of the ones out there. I won't go into full details to save space here (and I will save it for the writeup when I do it) but I am doing the tube steel, a 2"x6" Steel tube as basicly an insert to the rocker panel. Planning to cut it at the bottom of the doors, insert the tube and weld it in. Then just for some extra support, weld in 3 or 4 support braces per side (1"x1.5" tube steel) to the main "frame rail" tube. I am doing the floors at the same time and will tie all of this stuff into itself (floors, new rocker tubes, and the support tubes). That is just the way I am planning to do it.

You probably would not have to worry about supports honestly. There is enough surface area of the old rocker panel, and the tube (assuming you go that route) that if you run a good bead the full length, you should be more than fine.

Of the measurements taken for my rig, a 2x6 tube will extend roughly an inch past the doors. A 2x5 tube is just about a direct fit. With the extension like that it helps a bit as a rock slider. You could always go wider too for some more door protection and such.

Just my two cents, best of luck with your build.

Paint

Back