• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross Member Differences?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting my 88 XJ AW4 to an AX15 and I see there are differences in the cross members. For example, the one for the AW4 has a continuous raised ridge across its width. The AX15 cross member has a centrally located depression disrupting the "continuity" of this same formed ridge across the full width of the cross member. I have yet to compare the AW4 mount to the AX15 mount to determine if this difference in cross members is accounted for by the transmission mount. Maybe the AX15 mount is taller than the AW4 mount? This would be an acceptable reason for the depression in the AX15 cross member.

The AW4 cross member appears to have the bolt hole pattern for the AX15 mount as it features six clearance holes on its upper surface near the center. The AX15 mount also appears to be located in the same position on both cross members.

This tells me that the AX15/NP231 combination must sit lower than the AW4 variants. I do not know why; maybe the AX15 is simply taller as this cross-section. I will use the NP 242 originally built with my 88 XJ too; I prefer the added feature of 4WD on surfaces where I can get traction. This allows me to engage the NP242 and drive in/out of snow and ice patches on the freeway.

Has anyone used the AW4 cross member for an AX15? From my observation's this can be done but, this is with respect to two disassembled XJ's, so it is an incomplete interpretation. My guess is if the AW4 cross member/AX15 can be assembled without any detriment to the vehicle it reinforces the need for a double cardan joint rear drive shaft.

Does anyone know about the acceptability of using the AW4 cross members with the AX15 transmission?

Thanks,

Rick

I believe it is a fitment issue (at least it was when I replaced a BA5/10 with an NV3550 in an '87). The shift tower sits real close to the transmission tunnel. Since all the newer Manual trannys use the recessed cross member, I would assume the extra inch is needed. If you don't want to purchase a new crossmember, just go for it and see what happens. If you have interference, you can simply do a x-fer case drop. The only negative to that would be the ground clearance loss, and if you don't like that, then you could always get the manual cross member later.

Back