• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal on a 5speed?

ColoradoDave

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading write ups and threads for hours now and have one question still unanswered.. 92 4.0 with 5sp manual trans; I've read that with a 5spd I have to pull the tranny and I've also read that I don't. I've got my oil pan pulled off and I'm waiting for a friend to deliver some tools (including a tranny jack) so my question is, do I really need to pull my tranny to do the RMS? I know someone's done this with a 5spd before..it looks like I can do it without dropping my trans am I missing something important here? thanks

Shouldn't have to pull the tranny, if it is still a 4.0 then you just need to get the bearing cap off the rear of the cam and that's the RMS inside.

This is most likely my first post, but i have been searching and reading this and jeepforum for years. The type of transmission you have shouldn't have a thing to do with the seal.

I have personally had to do this on my jeep with 249 thousand on the original motor 2 times and once on a friends jeep both manual transmissions ax-15 (90 and newer) and the ba10/5 (89 and older) cherokees and all you have to do is drop the oil pan,take off the rear main bearing cap not cam bearing lol and push out the old seal and install a new one ,there is a write up on how to do this . heres the link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101118

Awesome thanks guys. The tools have arrived, and the seal came out without a problem. Not sure what I was stressin' about. Time to clean, clean, clean, and reassemble. Thanks again guys.

Change your oil pump while you're in there. Also, check the slack on your timing chain. Mine had about an inch of play in either direction.

Back