• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door locks 96

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I have power to all of my locks (4 door) but there isn't enough juice to actually fully unlock the passenger door or either of the rear doors. The drivers door is the only door that always unlocks with the keyless and the passenger door will work occasionally. The rear doors havent worked since I have had the jeep. I never have rear seat passengers so I never worried about it.

I was hoping to find the power door lock fix thread so I could tear mine apart and fix them. I remember long threads about the 87ish fix but not 96ish. Anyone have a link to that post, I couldn't find it with a search.

thanks

96 XJ

This is generally an OEM tech subject -- did you search that forum? There are a lot of threads but I don't know if the particular one you are looking for is included.

Since you have power to all locks and two work at least part time, the first thing to do is clean and lubricate all of the mechanisms. The last time mine started getting sluggish I went through that process but they were still not quite right. I cleaned up all battery connections and grounds and was amazed at the improvement in power lock performance, although I was having no other symptoms associated with poor connections or grounds.

Disclaimer: I have aftermarket locks and remote but don't know why OEM locks shouldn't benefit from the clean electrical connections.

I have a similiar problem with my passenger-side rear door. It's the one door that rarely gets used. I would say that its about 3 to 1 for every time I unlock it with the keyless, or for that matter using the door switch as well. I have to reach around from the front door and rock the switch back and forth a few times before it can actually unlock. A couple times a year, I'll get in there and clean and lube the mechansims on all of the doors. The improvement is instant.
I agree that you should clean your electrical connections at the battery and at the actuators. Just one more thing to add to your general maintenance list.

Check your grounds and also check for voltage drop while trying to actuate them.

Back