• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor rattle

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my original A/C compressor off my '87 XJ because it was leaking oil and the clutch was acting up (the compressor had 270k on it) I swapped over the compressor off my '89 parts jeep which has 170k on it.

Surprise the parts jeep compressor leaks oil in the same place.. but at least the clutch works well. The other problem is that it rattles really bad at hot idle.

I've done a little googling and found that there a few things that can cause the rattle:
* Overcharge
*Lack of Oil
*High head pressure due to lack of air flow over the condenser.

I've let a little refrigerant out of my system.. as well as added oil to the compressor.. rattle is still there. A/C still works great. I know I can pick up another compressor (Sanden SD508) off ebay for about $120.

I know this is a fairly common issue.. on a number of vehicles. I"m looking for advice on whether I should go ahead and replace it.. and how long it might continue to run before it grenades.

My fear is that it will blow up and blow shavings through my system..

well I finally hooked up the high side to my gauges. The high side should read 250-275psi and it reads 45psi.. so the thing is shot. I have no idea how my A/C is working..
I just ordered a reman compressor on ebay for $120 shipped. There was not any new ones available with the right clutch on it.

Last edited:
Back