• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of selling... talk me into or out of it

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So as I'm getting closer to graduating here, the thought of selling my XJ creeps into my head more and more.

I haven't used it much other than the couple times I've been home since moving out to Texas last August. I'm not sure where I'm going when I graduate, but I know if I stay out in Texas, I don't think I'd enjoy the wheeling as much as back at home. Plus the thought of what it could cost to get it wherever I end up might not be worth it.

I also could just about pay off my Accord for what I could get for my XJ, which means less debt for starting the next phase of my life... potentially buying a house sooner, and then getting new toys after I'm established.

Any thoughts from those who have been down the same path? I know I'll miss the Jeep if I do sell it, as I enjoy driving it when I get the chance, but economically speaking I feel like the responsible thing to do is to get rid of it as its not a necessity.

I hate to say it John but you could always build another XJ, think of how much you have into that thing (other than the original purchase price). relatively speaking its a cheap hobby to get into (or back into).

On the other hand as soon as you sell it you're going to miss the hell out of it. Good luck on your decision. I know I couldn't bear to sell mine so i killed it :D

To sell or not to sell, that is the question - eh? I'm in the same boat right now and I've actually lost sleep over this. If I can't find work soon the decision will be made for me.

That said, I agree with grim. It's not like decent xj's are becoming impossible to find. Getting back into it would be easy later down the road and you can build it right the first time through.

i say if you dont NEED to sell it, dont. as long as it doesnt become a problem to keep it around (storage, moving, ect.). its great you have big plans for after you graduate and all, but buying a house is a HUGE investment. mortgage, insurance, property tax, up keep/repairs, are only a few things. trust me you will start looking at differant brands of toilet paper at the stores to compare the values. not to mention you will start thinking (if your not allready) about getting married, then kids. dude it starts going and going. up untill now your life was fun and somewhat responsible. now its going to be totally differant. and as you get closer to 30 your life will take a huge change. all your friends are in their own careers, getting married, moving further away, buying houses, ect. youll start thinking about the college years again and wishing you have kept your jeep, but your wife will say "do you REALLY think we need a jeep right now?". dont forget, you met her when you DIDNT own one. getting a new couch, and remodeling the kitchen will become a daily conversation, getting a jeep will, well that will become a thought. at this point the guitar hasnt been played for a long time, the playstation has its wires wrapped around it and stored on some shelf in the garage (probably next to all your old college papers and books) and your more concerned about cleaning the toothpaste stains on the sink than playing either one of em. you then think you get a bright idea and tell the wife "hey, lets go camping" thinking that might spring a thought about getting a jeeo back into her head. unfortunatly there arent many jeeps ruuning around the carnival cruise liners deck because she talked you into taking a cruise instead. you get home and realize you just spent more on that "vacation" than you would have if you built/bought a bad ars jeep for. yous so pissed off about it you start calling your old jeep buddies and ask them whats around because you figured if she got the cruise, you sure as heck am getting a jeep. unfortunatly all your buddies with jeeps are, well useing them. as your sitting on your new couch reading all your old jeep magazines, the wife wispers in your ear "honey, i havnt had my . since we got back from the cruise". at this point that stack of jeep magazine get put up next to the playstation in the garage and a new even bigger stack of parenting mags start building all around the house. now the real fun begins.

how much you askin for the jeep?

John, I think you are thinking about this with the right reasons. It's a tough decision. I say put it up for sale for an amount you would be VERY happy with and if it sells, great and if it doesn't....keep it and enjoy it even if a limited amount of the year.

You won't get half for it what it is worth. You have built it right, but face it - it doesnt have dana 60's, a cage, stroker, etc .. you aren't talking a huge financial asset, and the market is really low right now.

Paying off your accord won't do as much for you financially as you probably think. Creditors like to see that you stick to the commitment - after all, its the interest they are after - not just the guarantee you are going to pay them back.

I'd stick it out, graduate, and see where you sit then. If at that time you *know* you're going somewhere you wouldnt use it, or that it would be difficult/expensive to relocate it to - then sell. For right now it won't cost you more than the 30 bucks a month insurance costs to wait and see.

I have considered selling my F100 about 10 times over the years. It has sat, untouched, for up to 6 months at a time... but eventually I'm always ready for the truck again and glad that it is sitting there waiting for me.

My jeep is allways for sale, I have a price in my head and if I were offered close to it I'd take it. Till then I keep it and use it when I can and I know it isn't a huge expense to have hang around. I've sold jeeps in times where I needed money and now I realize it was a waste of $ to sell what I had but that's back when I wheeled a few times a month. Now its a couple times a year at most and I know I'd miss it but I can do what I want with something much more reasonable to drive every day too.

So I guess what I'm saying is do what you feel is best long term either way you'll have pro's and con's to work around but its not like you can't replace it later

You won't get half for it what it is worth. You have built it right, but face it - it doesnt have dana 60's, a cage, stroker, etc .. you aren't talking a huge financial asset, and the market is really low right now.

Paying off your accord won't do as much for you financially as you probably think. Creditors like to see that you stick to the commitment - after all, its the interest they are after - not just the guarantee you are going to pay them back.

I'd stick it out, graduate, and see where you sit then. If at that time you *know* you're going somewhere you wouldnt use it, or that it would be difficult/expensive to relocate it to - then sell. For right now it won't cost you more than the 30 bucks a month insurance costs to wait and see.

I have considered selling my F100 about 10 times over the years. It has sat, untouched, for up to 6 months at a time... but eventually I'm always ready for the truck again and glad that it is sitting there waiting for me.

You've kinda hit the nail on the head about where I'm at with it. Is there a big benefit to paying of the Accord faster? Probably not. Would the money I get for it look nice in my bank account and put me towards a down payment? Yeah. Will I get what I want for it, probably not.

My dad told me some guy drove by one day while he was out mowing the lawn, stopped and asked him if it were for sale. He said no. I told him he should have at least solicited an offer from the guy; everything's for sale for the right price.

i say if you dont NEED to sell it, dont. as long as it doesnt become a problem to keep it around (storage, moving, ect.). its great you have big plans for after you graduate and all, but buying a house is a HUGE investment. mortgage, insurance, property tax, up keep/repairs, are only a few things. trust me you will start looking at differant brands of toilet paper at the stores to compare the values. not to mention you will start thinking (if your not allready) about getting married, then kids. dude it starts going and going. up untill now your life was fun and somewhat responsible. now its going to be totally differant. and as you get closer to 30 your life will take a huge change. all your friends are in their own careers, getting married, moving further away, buying houses, ect. youll start thinking about the college years again and wishing you have kept your jeep, but your wife will say "do you REALLY think we need a jeep right now?". dont forget, you met her when you DIDNT own one. getting a new couch, and remodeling the kitchen will become a daily conversation, getting a jeep will, well that will become a thought. at this point the guitar hasnt been played for a long time, the playstation has its wires wrapped around it and stored on some shelf in the garage (probably next to all your old college papers and books) and your more concerned about cleaning the toothpaste stains on the sink than playing either one of em. you then think you get a bright idea and tell the wife "hey, lets go camping" thinking that might spring a thought about getting a jeeo back into her head. unfortunatly there arent many jeeps ruuning around the carnival cruise liners deck because she talked you into taking a cruise instead. you get home and realize you just spent more on that "vacation" than you would have if you built/bought a bad ars jeep for. yous so pissed off about it you start calling your old jeep buddies and ask them whats around because you figured if she got the cruise, you sure as heck am getting a jeep. unfortunatly all your buddies with jeeps are, well useing them. as your sitting on your new couch reading all your old jeep magazines, the wife wispers in your ear "honey, i havnt had my . since we got back from the cruise". at this point that stack of jeep magazine get put up next to the playstation in the garage and a new even bigger stack of parenting mags start building all around the house. now the real fun begins.

how much you askin for the jeep?

Number I'd be happy with: $5k, which I know I won't get.

Realistic number I'd be happy with but is still kind of a stretch: $4k.

I don't plan on getting married until I'm where I want to be in life. The ultimatum from my last relationship made me realize that. I need to be happy with what I've accomplished and do what I want to do before I make that step.

Dude, that's a tough call. I had to sell my '68 Olds for basically what I spent fixing it up because I couldn't take it to Germany with me. I have always regretted selling that car but I couldn't afford the storage on it. At least you can still use your jeep.

Y Would the money I get for it look nice in my bank account and put me towards a down payment? Yeah. Will I get what I want for it, probably not.

Would the money still be there when you go to buy a house? Its easy to start eating away at that before you need it.. ;)

Would the money still be there when you go to buy a house? Its easy to start eating away at that before you need it.. ;)

True, but thats also why I have a savings account at a different bank; makes it more difficult to access.

just keep it for now, you really dont need the money.....and toys are more fun,i would think about it if you were buying a house though but not till then

What have you done to your rig?

Well if you do decide to keep the XJ there actually is some good wheelin to be had there. Unlike SoCal most of it is private land privately run, but still nice. Barnwell Mtn near Gilmer TX is nice and it's a state run wheelin park.

I think you need to do what's best for you.

One big question to ask yourself, "Is keeping the XJ going to get me where I want to be?"

If it's not hurting anything just by being there, I say keep it for a little while and "sit on it."

For me, my priorities are a little different. I would get rid of my XJ before I got rid of my '55 Chevy. Actually, I would never get rid of my '55. I tell people all the time, "I would sleep in my '55 if I had to."

You mentioned buying a house and then getting toys when you are established. Well, from first hand experience, it's harder to get your toys back after buying a home.

However, $4K is $4k. That could go toward your down payment for a house.

So, I defer back to my first question.

Back