• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clump from right rear side?

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So i've had this problem for quite some time and lately ive gotten really annoyed with it. Basically whenever i shift into reverse there is a clump in the right rear side, and sometimes when im stopping or slowing down i can feel that clump, i also get this clump when i make wide turns going slow (usually backing out and turning). does anyone have any clue what could be causing this

You need to start with a visual inspection. Safety first, so properly block the wehicle and start looking for loose parts or slop in the system. What I mean is you cant check for a loose ujoint or pinion if the system has tension on it. If its on an incline in park or the parking brake is on the rear drivetrain will have tension on it. Block the vehicle so it dosent roll down the driveway and go under and start checking things for looseness. Could be a bad ujoint, loose pinion nut, slop in the drive gears, loose wheel, spring bolts,bad bearings, loose splines, etc. You might also get the drive wheels off the ground (on jack stands) and have someone hold the brake and go from forward to reverse and you check for movement or looseness. If you dont do these things porperly or safely you could be run over or crushed or sucked into a spinning wheel. I dont want to preach or sound like a hard ass, but if you cant do it safely take it to a shop and have them look at it. Dont let the first guy that looks at it tear into it. Thats a starting point. Search the site and there are lots of experienced people on here that will probably reply. Good luck.

i checked everything under there already and it all seems good and the only thing i noticed was this little clamp thing on the right rear leaf that has fallend out of place, ill take a picture later to show you what im talking about

Back