• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caliper bolt size

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
Well, looks like I busted off one of the 13mm bolts that hold the front hub on. any idea what length and thread count these are?

Last edited:
It might be best to buy these bolts at your local auto parts store. They need to be smooth so that the caliper can slide in and out. Good luck

It might be best to buy these bolts at your local auto parts store. They need to be smooth so that the caliper can slide in and out. Good luck
Good point, but doesn't actually matter (at least on the new style calipers, not sure on the RENIX style calipers with the allen key head.) The bolts go through a steel inner sleeve which is the portion that the caliper slides on.

Thanks for the help. I think I am just going to replace the hub assembly while am at it. There is some play in it and I was having a clunk noise that I thought was a ball joint or loose caliper. Turns out it was a bad hub bearing. I would have to remove the broken bolt from the hub, which would require tools i don't have. I was just at Home depot too looking at grade 8 for my bumper too. :wierd:

Thanks for the help. I think I am just going to replace the hub assembly while am at it. There is some play in it and I was having a clunk noise that I thought was a ball joint or loose caliper. Turns out it was a bad hub bearing. I would have to remove the broken bolt from the hub, which would require tools i don't have. I was just at Home depot too looking at grade 8 for my bumper too. :wierd:
Do it, get Timken bearings - some parts stores and rockauto have them, as well as amazon :weird:

Are you replacing the steering knuckle as well? Kinda confused by this post. If you are, do balljoints as well if there seems to be any play in them.

nah, steering knuckle looks fine and ball joints look good. just need to get it back on the road for work before friday. how difficult is it to just replace the bearings in the hub? looked like i would need to have them pressed in.

The hubs are non rebuildable unless you have an XJ from before 90 or so.

Also, really sorry, I responded to the thread title not the content of the original post, the thread size I gave is for the caliper slide bolts. The hub bolts are much larger.

HOWEVER! you are in luck. If you truly broke the head off a hub bolt, just unscrew the rest and pound the hub out, you can just whack the back edge of the lug flange till it pops out. The broken hub bolt will come with it, since the bolts screw into the hub itself. Just replace the bolt with one from a junkyard or post up in the classifieds section for your NAXJA chapter, someone will probably have an extra. I have about a dozen sitting around from gutting old d30s and getting spare shafts at the junkyard, but there's no way one will make it to you by Friday in the mail.

Thanks again. sorry for the title, couldn't find a way to edit it and didn't want to start a new thread. apparently my degree in geology fails in mechanical terminology :)

Back