• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Magnaflow hi-flo cat?

ATLSRT8

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the cat on my 2000 XJ and was looking into the magnaflow hi-flo cat. My question is: does it throw a CEL? I only ask because they did on my 2007 chargert srt8, and I couldn't pass emissions. Thanks!

I had one on a 97 TJ with a 4.0 and no problems. I would say it gave a slight performance/milage boost too.

I have no issues with mine, however I'm OBDI and have only the upstream O2 sensor. However, two of my friends have them on a '00 and '01 respectively, and neither have had any issues.

I like mine- on an '88 though and no emissions tests yet. It's nice and small- tucked up out of the way. Pretty light weight too.

I got it from amazon.com for under $65 with free shipping.

Just installed one in my 98 last weekend with a Dynomax cat-back. No problems yet, aside from an annoying tick in the exhaust that sounds a bit like a leak.

You use pipe-clamps for the install? Check 'em and see if they're snug. I initially used clamps on mine and it would squeeze when letting out the clutch and tick like a leak. Ended up being the pipe-clamps weren't getting tight enough to seal things up properly.

I like mine- on an '88 though and no emissions tests yet. It's nice and small- tucked up out of the way. Pretty light weight too.

I got it from amazon.com for under $65 with free shipping.

seriously? thats not bad... its too bad im in CA and i have to get a carb compliant one =/ what model number did you get?

The two front cats on the 2000-01 are the ones that the sensor picks up. Rear converter is not sniffed.

do wha?!?............... unless there is 2 more converters before the 1st O2 sensor on my exhaust that i dont know about... there is only 1 cat in my exhaust system on my 01 xj with a 4.0 and just after my cat, theres a 2nd O2 sensor... then maybe 3 inches after that... the muffler

assuming your xj is an 00-01, show me some picture's of the 3 cats on that particular xj..

do wha?!?............... unless there is 2 more converters before the 1st O2 sensor on my exhaust that i dont know about... there is only 1 cat in my exhaust system on my 01 xj with a 4.0 and just after my cat, theres a 2nd O2 sensor... then maybe 3 inches after that... the muffler

assuming your xj is an 00-01, show me some picture's of the 3 cats on that particular xj..

Pretty sure all 00-01 have 2 pre-cats on the exhaust manifold. I know mine does so does my brothers and my father-in-laws, now what is odd is my brothers has an o2 sensor after the cat before the muffler mine however does not, just the 2 sensors after the cats on the manifold. Why 2 Jeeps from the same year with the same options would be different I have no idea.

Pretty sure all 00-01 have 2 pre-cats on the exhaust manifold......

Some 2000's have pre-cats and some don't. Mine does not.

..... Why 2 Jeeps from the same year with the same options would be different I have no idea.

Maybe you have never seen a late 1996 Cherokee with 1/2 the 1997 upgrades already installed under the hood. Jeep has always made midyear changes, when they ran out of old version of the parts they installed the new upgrades on the next Jeep on the line.

Not all.. Only the ones built for CA. My IL. 2k XJ was without pre-cats.

George T.

Pretty sure all 00-01 have 2 pre-cats on the exhaust manifold. I know mine does so does my brothers and my father-in-laws, now what is odd is my brothers has an o2 sensor after the cat before the muffler mine however does not, just the 2 sensors after the cats on the manifold. Why 2 Jeeps from the same year with the same options would be different I have no idea.

At some point the exhaust system may have needed repairs and the cats were done away with, but if there are only two O2 sensors instead of three; that would be unusual.
ALL the 00-01 XJs that I have seen have the two precats with O2 sensors with the main cat further down and then another O2 about three inches further downstream.

ALL the 00-01 XJs that I have seen have the two precats with O2 sensors with the main cat further down and then another O2 about three inches further downstream.

If the XJ has the two pre cats with two O2 sensors up stream of those then another pair of O2 sensors down stream, then it won't have one after the main cat,

Back