• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible bad steering knuckle?

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ with 3.5" lift with 31"s never experienced any death wobble or steering issues. Went wheeling at eagle rock (moderate to difficult trail near colorado springs) a few weeks ago and now I have a new thump/popping noise when turning that seems to be coming from the left front. As well sometimes when braking at speed I get a pretty violent shaking in the front end. I've wanted to replace my tie rod ends so I figured now was a good time. I removed the crown nuts from both ends and upon the first whack to the passenger side, the driver’s side end link fell out of the steering knuckle and subsequently the new end link didn’t fit snug like it should. The knuckle doesn’t appear to be damaged at all but I’m thinking maybe somehow while on the trail the hole in the knuckle got wallowed out allowing the tie rod end link to wiggle around? Anyone ever heard of this happening?

I doubt that tapered hole would get wallowed out unless it was loose and chucking to start with. I'd be more tempted to get a different TRE first.

I hadnt even thought of the track bar bracket, I will make sure its tight. And I just replace both TREs and the adjuster sleeve with a JKS HD tube.

Slims was right on the money. There was obvious marks in the grime where the bracket had been shifting on the bottom bolts. Tightened them up and all is well.

Thanks for saving me from spending a bunch of money and work replacing a knuckle that was just fine!

Back