• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie with a few problems

ATLSRT8

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new (to me) 2000 cherokee auto/4.0 and I have come across 2 problems.

1. It's missing a catalytic converter and showing no CEL codes. I need a new cat to pass emissions here in GA. Where is the best place to buy an oem cat converter. And does the cherokee have a handheld tuner on it? Bc should it not be showing a CEL with no cat converter on it at all?

2. I have had it for a week with no problems. I didn't drive it for the last 2 days and now when I get over 35 mph the front drivers side tire wants to wobbble and hop so much it's almost scary to drive. (No sway bar on) Any thoughts why it could do this after driving fine for 5 days then sitting 2?
Thanks for any help in advance! :cheers:

Sorry for my first post to be one of needing help, but I will be making an introduction thread later and I will frequent this forum often as I do with my charger forums I am on.

I bought a new (to me) 2000 cherokee auto/4.0 and I have come across 2 problems.

1. It's missing a catalytic converter and showing no CEL codes. I need a new cat to pass emissions here in GA. Where is the best place to buy an oem cat converter. And does the cherokee have a handheld tuner on it? Bc should it not be showing a CEL with no cat converter on it at all?

2. I have had it for a week with no problems. I didn't drive it for the last 2 days and now when I get over 35 mph the front drivers side tire wants to wobbble and hop so much it's almost scary to drive. (No sway bar on) Any thoughts why it could do this after driving fine for 5 days then sitting 2?
Thanks for any help in advance! :cheers:

Sorry for my first post to be one of needing help, but I will be making an introduction thread later and I will frequent this forum often as I do with my charger forums I am on.

From your description of the wobble problem this sounds like what we refer to as Death Wobble where the tires oscillate side to side hopping. This generally causes by a worn front end part such as tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings or even trac bar tie rod. This will also cause a bad alignment. Can't hurt to check your tire balance and inflation. It is curious that this occurs after two days of sitting.

As for the catalytic converter missing and not throwing codes. As long as the downstream O2 sensor is installed and the primary O2 sensor(s) are installed in a test pipe there will be enough of a sensed difference that a code shouldn't be thrown. You can purchase a Magnaflow hi flow cat online for around $75 by doing a search.

From your description of the wobble problem this sounds like what we refer to as Death Wobble where the tires oscillate side to side hopping. This generally causes by a worn front end part such as tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings or even trac bar tie rod. This will also cause a bad alignment. Can't hurt to check your tire balance and inflation. It is curious that this occurs after two days of sitting.

As for the catalytic converter missing and not throwing codes. As long as the downstream O2 sensor is installed and the primary O2 sensor(s) are installed in a test pipe there will be enough of a sensed difference that a code shouldn't be thrown. You can purchase a Magnaflow hi flow cat online for around $75 by doing a search.

Thanks so much! The previous owner stated it may need new balljoints soon, so that might be th culprit. Also does the magnaflow hi-flo throw a cel on the cherokees? I only ask bc it did on my charger, and I can't pass emissions here with a CEL on. Thank you!!

Thanks so much! The previous owner stated it may need new balljoints soon, so that might be th culprit. Also does the magnaflow hi-flo throw a cel on the cherokees? I only ask bc it did on my charger, and I can't pass emissions here with a CEL on. Thank you!!

Works fine on mine with no codes, good smog check and great performance.

Since you're in Alpharetta, just drive down to Summit Racing and pick up a Magnaflow cat from there. No shipping costs.

And you DEFINITELY want to have a swaybar on the frontend. Especially driving in ATL traffic with all the crazies. Trust me, I used to live in Marietta, I know. :lecture:

You probably have the cali emissions package, which means two small cats right after the manifold and then the larger main cat further down the stream. With this emissions package the PCM monitors the two smaller cats with O2 sensors after them. This might explain the lack of a check engine light.

You probably have the cali emissions package, which means two small cats right after the manifold and then the larger main cat further down the stream. With this emissions package the PCM monitors the two smaller cats with O2 sensors after them. This might explain the lack of a check engine light.

That makes a lot of sense!!! Now I need to tell the emissions guys that won't pass me on the visual inspection

And you DEFINITELY want to have a swaybar on the frontend. Especially driving in ATL traffic with all the crazies. Trust me, I used to live in Marietta, I know. :lecture:

Naw... just drive it like a jeep, and not a race car. I havent run a sway bar in years. I drive in ATL traffic everyday. Just my opinion though, everybody's got one. :D

That makes a lot of sense!!! Now I need to tell the emissions guys that won't pass me on the visual inspection

You still need the main cat. Its part of the emissions package. Total of 3 cats.

Naw... just drive it like a jeep, and not a race car. I havent run a sway bar in years. I drive in ATL traffic everyday. Just my opinion though, everybody's got one. :D

I used to as well (remember, you ditched me at the Wild Wing :shhh: ). Either way, ditch the rear sway bar, but I'd retain the front one if I were you.

Back