• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump kill switch/anti theft idea

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to get some oppinions on an idea I just got yesterday.I'm looking at splicing my rear window defrost switch(defrost doesn't work,switch is good)into one of the ballast resistor wires.....cool huh?In my head it sounds easy enough....cut one of the ballast wires run it to the switch in the dash and then run the wire back out into the engine bay to the cut wire.This should be a stealthy anti theft/saftey device.....flick of the switch and fuel pump is off.

Anyone done this?

Does this sound safe?I need to break out my dvm(waiting out this damn ohio rain) and find out how many amps the ballast resistor wires carry so I can be sure the factory defrost switch will carry the load(should?right?)I'm also wondering if the switch will cause too much resistance in the ballast circuit,enough to affect the fuel pump?

Last edited:
Not sure the defrost switch can carry the current load of the fuel pump. I think the defrost switch controls a relay that carries the current for the defroster. If you can determine the current carying capacity of the defrost switch is adequate, then it would be fine to use.

pm me for THE best place to hide shut-off.

Have 2.

Back