• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrade

Pvpmedic

NAXJA Forum User
I have did a search on steering and havent found many posts on steering kits. Im sure there are many of them in these forums somewhere.

But here is my question, I bought the rugged ridge steering a year and go and im on my last nerve with that peice of crap steering kit, i have tried spacers and nothing you do with that kit will fix the dead spots.

I was to upgrade and I am having difficulty choosing what to do. I dont have alot of money but if i need to i can save up. My jeep is a 1998 xj, with a lift size of 6.5 inch with 33 inch tires. I dont plan on going any bigger on tires. Here are the links to the kits im looking at:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-SC250-UV&Category_Code=ste

I have also been reading up that I can take the Jeep ZJ steering kit from a junk yard and put it on my xj and that will beef up the steering and be alot cheaper. Between all this am I better off saving up and buying one of the kits above or going to a wrecking yard and getting a zj steering kit and be just fine. Any suggestions is greatly appriciated. Thank you much

The ZJ steering is a good upgrade over stock, and the Currie system is better yet, IMO. I have run both, using the Currie with 35" tires for the last four years with no issues.
You can get a better price than listed on Currie's site with one of the NAXJA sponsors...

Currie = Beefed up version of the stock steering with an angled DLE at the pitman arm so it doesn't bind when the passenger side droops. I know alot of guys that run this set-up and like it.

Rusty's - Personally I wouldn't touch anything they make with a 10 ft pole....just my .02 and my exrience....

Jeep ZJ Steering - The XJ and ZJ have the same draglink. The V8 ZJ's had a beefier tierod that can be used in place of the stock XJ tierod.

With either the Currie or the ZJ setup you still can have all the problems associated with the inverted "Y" steering. At 6.5" lift the Currie would be the better of the two.

As for Rusty's, its a inverted "T" style which is known to have a dead spot in the middle, especially at greater lift heights, because of tierod roll.

I did the WJ knuckle/steering/brake swap on mine and love it, but at nearly $700 it might be a little out of your price range at the moment.

I ordered the Currie kit because of its clear superiority in strength over stock while maintaining stock dimensions.
However, I think Currie is having some trouble getting these kits out - its too popular.
Everywhere I looked was backordered - so, I wait.
I'll post up when I get it installed.

i like my JCR setup at +4", no tie rod roll at all.
i like that spare rod ends are close by, other vehicles in the crew run the same steering, waay more stout than the stockish stuff.

So for now until I can get back to work it wouldnt hurt me to hit up a couple junk yards and get a zj kit for awhile if i can get for a cheap price. Then get the currie kit asap? I will stay away from rustys kit then, i figured sense the tie rode was mounted on the top instead of the side it wouldnt have the dead spots but I dont want to risk haveing the same problem as this retarted rugged ridge steering kit. I hope no one ever buys that kit NAXJA should put a bid not on the top of the webpage telling people to not buy that peice of crap :p Anyhow thanx for everyones input.

Here are your best choices.
1. Build your own.
2. JCR steering
3. WJ conversion

Hmm i just looked at JCR 1 ton steering and that kit looks like I would have tie rod roll just like the crappy rugged ridge kit. I dont think I would even be willing to try that kit.

i've heard good things about JCR steering, if i were you i'd just go all out and look into the WJ swap. the swap was done on the dana 30 that i bought and its awesome

I have 4.5" lift and the Currie HD tie rod system....

It seems to work well. I had a pretty good sized dead spot after my lift w/the stock steering. Changed out to the Currie.

But I still had the dead spot. Although it was minimal.

Then about a month ago I noticed it was getting really bad again.

That's when I found out the axle end bushing on the track bar was shot.

Bought a new one and the dead spot is almost gone.

So my point is, check the track bar TRE and bushing first and see if that's the culprit.

What I did was get a hi JB hi steer bracket (http://www.jb4x4.com/store/) and keep the RR system, My Comanche is at 6.5" lift and the problem is that any steering system no matter brand will not work correctly unless you raise the steering arm. its that simple . its not the fault of the RR system design. the JCR system is same setup and will have same problem at 6.5" lift.its the lift of the Jeep that's all, the steering cant perform at such angels. for the money ,in my case i bought the rr system for 160.00 and the jb bracket was 150.00 so i have just over 300 in the steering system and its a high steer. I am totally happy with the setup. and its a simple install . as for the tres, if you use the bracket you can replace the tre with the hole with the factory end (ES3096L) so you only have to buy two tres from RR when needed
382376929.jpg
this pic is from JB

What I did was get a hi JB hi steer bracket (http://www.jb4x4.com/store/) and keep the RR system, My Comanche is at 6.5" lift and the problem is that any steering system no matter brand will not work correctly unless you raise the steering arm. its that simple . its not the fault of the RR system design. the JCR system is same setup and will have same problem at 6.5" lift.its the lift of the Jeep that's all, the steering cant perform at such angels. for the money ,in my case i bought the rr system for 160.00 and the jb bracket was 150.00 so i have just over 300 in the steering system and its a high steer. I am totally happy with the setup. and its a simple install . as for the tres, if you use the bracket you can replace the tre with the hole with the factory end (ES3096L) so you only have to buy two tres from RR when needed
382376929.jpg
this pic is from JB

Which tre did you use? I have the RR cross over steering and I'm having the same problem.Did you use the same TRE that came with the RR kit?

Some people have good luck with JCR steering but I did not and I hate it, dead spot galore. People refuse to drive my jeep b/c of how hard it is to steer. If I could do any setup I would do the wj/tera knuckle or the currie with a tie rod flip. Sounds like those are two of the best setups possible.

382376929.jpg
this pic is from JB
'
Did you have to clearance anything to get that kit to work? Does your steering come into contact with anything?

Last edited:
If money is a concern then just upgrade to the ZJ steering....
If you have some time to wait..... then I would recommend saving some money and purchase the Currie Steering.
I upgraded my steering to a used Currie Steering about 8 years ago and the steering performance and durability has been great. For the money I would say that it is money well spent.
With that said.... the setup that XJEEPER installed is noticably better, but at more than double the cost.

I have the rugged ridge steering with 6 inches of lift and thinking about the jb bracket but wondering if you needed to move the lower track bar mount at all?

To eliminate bump steer and any other problems. YES The tracbar and drag link need to stay as close to the same angle as possible.

Back