• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good/Bad rotors and pads for D30? Other tips welcome

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for opinions on a good set of rotors and pads for the old '88. I'd also like to know which products you guys have had bad experiences with.

Can we compile a list of good vs bad brake components?

I don't know the condition of my calipers either. What should I look for aside from pad evenness and leaks/rust?

Also- I see at NAPA they have a 1 piece rotor/hub setup. Is that something that is optional or is it intended for a specific style of axle?

'00 XJ...

Raybestos rotors (made in USA)...good
Carbon Metallic pads (made in USA)...great

Autozone premimun pads (made in China or Mexico)...bad...creates more dust and noise than a...<insert witty phase here>. Can't wait until they wear out. Also, seem to be eating into rotor...

I have power slot rotors and Hawk LTS pads. I had HPS pads before and they were good just wore a bit quick and dusted a lot so I decided to try their suv/truck pad instead. I also added speed bleeders to make life easier on myself.

I recently installed a set of Raybestos semi-metallic Advanced Technology brake pads on the front of the ZJ with new rotors and they made a nice improvement in braking. Fairly cheap too. I've heard good things about the hawk HPS pads too, but haven't tried them yet.

I just installed Ebay "Brake motive" drilled&slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads front and rear on my ZJ. So far, so good. Just had to live with the first 500mile Pucker factor.. (they sucked during break-in period)

Back