• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Blowout

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
Harmonic balancer failure after 18,000 miles.

First I noticed the belt was squeaking when A/C turned on and the engine made an odd noise during full throttle. Looked under the hood and the belt was working its way off the water pump. Looked a little further and the harmonic balancer was completely out of alignment. The engine has 18,000 miles on it with a balanced rotating assembly and no oil leaks. There was no reason for this part to fail.

Old Part: Dorman 594-018
imgp1244g.jpg

New Part: Precision Parts PB1439-N
imgp1257v.jpg

The hardest part with switching this out was going to the auto parts. I wanted to try something other than a Dorman. O’Reilly’s had something different I checked online and my nearest location had it on the shelf for $45. I get to the store tell the guy harmonic balancer 1989 Jeep Cherokee. He says it’s a special order part and it would be $109 I tell him that is incorrect. I guess he didn’t feel like he made a mistake. I drive back to my house print out the part from their website it clearly lists the part number the price their address and shows as in store. I drive back to the store hand the paper to the same guy the only thing I say is get me this part. He types on the keyboard a bit and says sorry the part is special order for $109. I show him on the paper the part number their address and the availability as in store. He types a little more and says we have it on the shelf. I’m a very calm person but sometimes.

You done been "Parts Counter Dude-ed"!

Good old Dorman. I refused to put one of their dampers on a 351W. Thing just slid right on the crank, no press fit required. Maybe even a couple thousandths loose on top of that.

Was this one a tight fit on the crank?

They were both a press fit. It's possible the new one is the same manufacture with a different name on it.

Super Parts Retard strikes again! He's armed with a crappy database and no knowledge of automobiles aside from turning the key and pressing the accelerator...

Odd that you're having trouble with Dorman parts, I've always had fairly good luck with them. Of course, I have only used them for brake lines, tranny lines, and miscellaneous small junk so far.

When I replaced the one on my '89 I ran into the same Dorman problem. The alloy was so bad that the flange edges were broken off on both sides while still in the undamaged box. Cheep Chinese junk . . .

I ended up buying a factory balancer and having a machine shop trim the end because the '89 engine has an internal oil slinger ring that might have interfered with the fit.
The oil ring might also be reason for different prices and part numbers.

That sucks- I just put in a Dorman maybe 3 months ago. So far so good, but I'll keep an eye on it and report back when it fails. Thanks for the heads-up.

That sucks- I just put in a Dorman maybe 3 months ago. So far so good, but I'll keep an eye on it and report back when it fails. Thanks for the heads-up.

I wouldn't assume they all would fail, but I could have caught the problem earlier if I was checking it on a regular basis.

Back