• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 vs 00 exhaust manifold

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
Did the exhaust maifold change from 99 to 00? I have heard that XJ's have some real cracking issues with their manifolds in the early years and up to 99. I know in 2000 they switched to the 0331 head and I'm guessing they switched the exhaust manifold too but not sure. It would make perfect since for Chrysler to do that. Fix one factory defect to just create another in the cracking 0331 head.

Really....Nobody knows if there is a difference between the 99 and 00 exhaust maifold?

I know the Cali '00s have split shorty cast manifolds with smaller ports that bolt onto two precats w/ 2 o2 sensors that y into a downpipe w/ 1 o2 sensor that feeds into a cat with 1 o2 sensor.

I know the Cali '00s have split shorty cast manifolds with smaller ports that bolt onto two precats w/ 2 o2 sensors that y into a downpipe w/ 1 o2 sensor that feeds into a cat with 1 o2 sensor.

I was looking at a '99 about a week ago. I didn't look at the exhaust in particular. I did look at the head and intake. The head is the same as for the 96 to '98. In 2000 the reduced the exhuast port size and used a cast iron two piece exhaust manifold. So, yes to my knowlege the '99 uses a different exhaust manifold that the 2000. The 2000 exhaust manifolds won't (adequately) cover the earlier exhaust ports.
Tom

Yes, in 2000 the 0331 head gets a cast iron manifold. The exhaust ports are in a slightly different locations on the 0331 head so you really don't want to try and fit that cast manifold to your 0630 or 7120 head.

Yes, in 2000 the 0331 head gets a cast iron manifold. The exhaust ports are in a slightly different locations on the 0331 head so you really don't want to try and fit that cast manifold to your 0630 or 7120 head.

I'm not trying to swap parts off a 99 to a 00. I simply was trying to get some info for another NAXJA guy. He said he had an exhaust leak on his 2000 and thought he might have a cracked manifold. I have heard of the 99 and older manifolds cracking but I havn't heard anyone mention a cracked manifold on a 00-01. I thought he was probably wrong on his diagnosis of the cracked manifold due to the rarity of it happening on that particular year, but I wanted to make sure I had my facts correct before I gave him anymore info. Do the 2000-2001 manifolds crack sometimes, all the time, or never?

Last edited:
I would think that the thick iron cast manifolds don't crack as easy as the thinner stainless steel manifolds(bad motor mounts are the top culprits). I don't doubt that there can be issues with gaskets and leaks. Tell the other Naxja guy to post pictures(and ask questions for himself:).

I would think that the thick iron cast manifolds don't crack as easy as the thinner stainless steel manifolds(bad motor mounts are the top culprits). I don't doubt that there can be issues with gaskets and leaks. Tell the other Naxja guy to post pictures(and ask questions for himself:).

Thanks for the info. The other guy just bought this Jeep off a good friend of mine and I just felt inclined to give him a piece of mind about his rig. I appreciate your insight.

Back