• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GF wants to buy me GPS for ma Berf-day. need input!

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So like it stated, she wants to get me one and i wanna know which ones offer the ability to save trails that i go on and what not. Feed back appreciated guys.

Gracias!

My two GPS choices that I narrowed down to are the Garmin 60Csx and the Lowrance Baja series.

The only hold up is whether I want the unit to be portable (Garmin) or vehicle dedicated (lowrance).

These are not street GPS units and I'd get a generic tom tom or garmin for street use. These are Jeep/trail/hiking GPS options. My .02c

Is there one that does streets with the ability to just save the trails via the GPS Coordinates? I think Brad has one that does both. I could be wrong though. Ill wait for him to chime in. Or maybe i should call him :p

I've had 3 differnt garmin handhelds all worked well and all could store maps and tracks as well as make waypoints and upload to the pc.
The lowrance handheld I had was more accurate but a bigger pain to use in the field
All the handhelds ate batteries like crazy when I didn't have them plugged in.

For the couple hundred more than the nicer handhelds you can get a car mounted lowrance that seem to be the best mapping, tracking, and featured but I know two guys who are very happy with lap top units but then you have to take your laptop with ya jeeping

My best advice is to head to a place like basspro and check out all the goodies, you generally can try out and demo them there and compare them side by side

I've had 3 differnt garmin handhelds all worked well and all could store maps and tracks as well as make waypoints and upload to the pc.
The lowrance handheld I had was more accurate but a bigger pain to use in the field
All the handhelds ate batteries like crazy when I didn't have them plugged in.

For the couple hundred more than the nicer handhelds you can get a car mounted lowrance that seem to be the best mapping, tracking, and featured but I know two guys who are very happy with lap top units but then you have to take your laptop with ya jeeping

My best advice is to head to a place like basspro and check out all the goodies, you generally can try out and demo them there and compare them side by side

I dont think there is a bass proshop around LA. Closest thing to that i think is REI. PLus i know nothing about these so comparing them right there and then wont do much for me. I dont need anything hardcore like a lowrance so im thinking Garmin might be the direction i should head in.

Keep the input coming guys!

Thanks!

I dont think there is a bass proshop around LA. Closest thing to that i think is REI. PLus i know nothing about these so comparing them right there and then wont do much for me. I dont need anything hardcore like a lowrance so im thinking Garmin might be the direction i should head in.

Keep the input coming guys!

Thanks!
There's a Bass Pro Shops in rancho kookie monkey.

My nuvi 200something (265w? not sure) can breadcrumb stuff, but I have no idea if I can load maps into it. Haven't even tried.

I have the garmin nuvi 500, it seems to fit the dual purpose roll pretty good. Comes with topo and streets has good battery life easy to operate. Only draw back I've found is the factory mounts suck and it uses a rechargable battery so you can't carry spare alkalines for hiking. I have several tracks loaded into it for trails that are not in it already (preloaded stuff is usually recognized trails like john bull and cleghorn) mostly JV stuff like bull frog and cake walk and then just way points for things jack hammer.

My two GPS choices that I narrowed down to are the Garmin 60Csx and the Lowrance Baja series.

The only hold up is whether I want the unit to be portable (Garmin) or vehicle dedicated (lowrance).

These are not street GPS units and I'd get a generic tom tom or garmin for street use. These are Jeep/trail/hiking GPS options. My .02c

The 60csx does to turn by turn street navigation and has points of interest as well. I frequently have used mine while working out of town to find restraunts, city halls, libraries, etc. It is a true mutli-application GPS. I've used mine for vehicle navigation around Germany, Austria, Italy and Greece,hiking, geocaching, trail mapping, etc. If you are looking for a truely multi-use GPSr I would go with the Grmin 60CSx.

Cheaper option, some of the better E-trex
Mo' Money, --60CX

Or you could get a Rhino, so I finally have someone to play the games with. J/K should have gone with the 60cx

Back