• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1" hex + 3/4 x 5/8 heims for steering?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, I want to build my own steering for several reasons. Cost, fun, keeps me out of trouble, etc. A few questions though. And yes, I've searched.
1. After drilling for 3/4" shank heims joints, will 1" hex stock have enough meat? Or should I go 1 1/4"?
2. Want to go crossover, under the knuckle, w/ drag link on top of knuckle on passenger side. Any clearance issues to expect? Thinking I'll use RuffStuff heims if that matters
3. Any serious strength difference from 1" (or 1 1/4") hex to 0.25" wall 1.5" DOM? I don't currently plan on going past 31" tires... but I'd hate to build the steering over again if I found myself on 35s some fine day.

Go 1-1/4, especially if your thinking aluminum. I use 1-1/4 steel on all my kits. You will want to run both sides of the tie rod under the knuckle, not just the passenger side. You will need to cut off or relocate your sway bar mounts, have wheels with enough backspacing to clear bolts, and maybe cut off your steering stabilizer since you most likely wont be using it anyway. I am also using ruffstuff 3/4 heims on my steering.

I just noticed your topic says 3/4" x 5/8" heims. Are you planning on running a 3/4" shank heim with a 5/8" bore and 1/2" misalignment spacers? That is a small bolt on a single sheer setup... Or are you just using 5/8" as a reference to a 3/4 bore heim with 5/8" misalignment spacers?

I was going to use mild steel and 3/4" shank heims with 5/8" bore.
Sounds like more work / welding than I can get into while parked in the street, esp. on stock rims.
Thanks for the information! I'll find other projects, leave this one for some time later on.

Well I wasnt tryin to discourage you man. Install and everything can really only take 30 minutes if you are organized enough and plan out what your doing. Half the people on here dont run sway bars, I dont at 6.5 or 7 inches of lift on my D.D. You really could just cut those off. You would want to run 3/4 heims with a 3/4 bore and 5/8 bore misalighnment spacers on the drag link. Then drill out your knuckles and pitman are to 5/8". The biggest thing is this setup will not work with stock rims that dont have enough backspacing.

Well I wasnt tryin to discourage you man. Install and everything can really only take 30 minutes if you are organized enough and plan out what your doing. Half the people on here dont run sway bars, I dont at 6.5 or 7 inches of lift on my D.D. You really could just cut those off. You would want to run 3/4 heims with a 3/4 bore and 5/8 bore misalighnment spacers on the drag link. Then drill out your knuckles and pitman are to 5/8". The biggest thing is this setup will not work with stock rims that dont have enough backspacing.

Yeah, I hear you. When I get a new set of wheels on the jeep I'll probably just go for it and run without the sway bar. Right now, well, I abide by my budget and not the other way around. Appreciate the tech, though.

Back