• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple oil leaks, anyone seen this before?

ColoradoDave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. first off, 92xj 4.0 5spd np231, rustys 3 inch, 260k and still kickin.

I've been chasing oil leaks for awhile and recently replaced the valve cover gasket and the oil filter adapter O rings. On the freeway yesterday I notice I'm burning oil and leaving a smoke trail thick enough to get lost in. I pull over and find oil pouring off the front of the transmission and dripping all over the exhaust pipe hence the smoke. Limped it home. spent a few hours cleaning today to track down my leak and found I'm leaking from either the rear main or the oil pan gasket I don't really care which I'll replace them both. My problem is I'm not convinced those are the only leaks. I can't find any trace of oil leaking from the filter adapter, distributor, head gasket, or valve cover gasket but before I cleaned there was oil sprayed all the way up on the hood and over the plug wires, I mean everything was covered in oil!
So, my question is, could an oil pan gasket or a rear main spray that much oil forward by themselves? has anyone seen this before?
thanks, sorry for rambling.

I just went through replacing the oil pan gasket and main seals as well at the adapter gasket and I have one more leak at the T-Case. I bought it used and it had oil gunk all over the bottom. Slowly scraping it all off. Check to make sure the adapter rings are seated and any of the other obvious things we are known to forget about. It is a pain. but soon it will not need a diaper.

It does not take a lot of oil to land on the hot exhaust in order to create the dense James Bond smoke screen.

Good luck.

Other possibilities: leaking oil filter--pinhole manufacturing defect or double gasket (installation error); broken oil pressure sending unit; broken oil pressure sending unit right angle adapter; distributor gasket.

Don't forget to service the CCV system.

While you are in there doing the RMS and pan gasket--with your mileage consider adding a replacement HIGH VOLUME oil pump. Also, re-torque all the rod and main caps, they work loose.

Back